Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Maryland and keep my truck full most of the time. Is it a must or a recommendation on any fuel additives for my truck its a 2008 gmc lmm?

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
Recommend, you don't need anything but diesel. But it does improve mpg, and helps the engine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you , I'm new to the diesel world.

·
Vendor
10,964 Posts
I recommend them. ULSD doesn't provide enough lubrication or cleaning additives to keep your injectors properly cleaned and lubricated. I use the ones from AMSOIL:

Fuel Concentrate Will keep the injectors clean and lubricated which will help with fuel economy

Centane Booster adds cetane to your fuel which helps with combustion, starting, and smoke issues.

I use 1oz of both products per 5 gals of fuel.

Just my two cents. If I can help further, just let me know.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't seen any substantial evidence that additives prolong injector life nor improve fuel economy. The LB7 engines with additional filtering and regular use of additives didn't show any better injector reliability than those that didn't use either. The reason being that the injectors were defective from the factory. The LMM engines don't appear to have any injector issues and I see no reason to worry about them. Additives add considerably to the cost of ownership, so I would be cautious about throwing money at problems that don't exist or solutions that have not been verified to perform as advertised. The one exception to this is cold weather climate driving. I think an additive to prevent fuel from gelling in temps below 20 degrees Fahrenheit is a wise precaution. I also recommend carrying a bottle of the E911 stuff for emergency use. The anti-gel additives have been shown to work and being stranded on a cold day with gelled fuel is no fun. The tow bill will also far outweigh the cost of the additive. I know that winter fuel is supposed to be blended to prevent gelling; however, many here can attest to the fact that they did have problems even while using fuel that was supposed to have been properly formulated to prevent the problem.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It isnt recommended by GM, but if you do use them, the manual states stanadyne and racor are the only "GM Approved" additives. I do it for piece of mind, but i see a lot colder temps than many others do, so i can see more condensation going from -40F outside to my 50F garage. In my case it makes sense.

FWIW, i had a buddy that had to park his truck outside all the time because it was a dually. His fuel heater went out on him and he used additives and the only time it gelled was when it would get -40F or colder out. He finally figured out why he was gelling. the only reason i would use it is for piece of mind and if you park in a heated garage.

·
Banned
17,251 Posts
Look.

An addative isnt going to hurt it and (should) be used in it anytways...

I could care less about how much better MPG's it gives me, I care about the lubrication to the cp3.

I pour a full bottle (yes a full one) of the 32oz Power Service grey bottles into my 50 gallon tank. Ther eis nothing wrong with overtreating our fuel and you dont need a scientifically designed over priced product. I go with what works and where I can get it at any auto parts store.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you guys think about LUCAS products? They say its good for GAS and DIESEL. Anyone here recommend LUCAS for Diesel? I use Lucas on my GAS truck every oil change I pour a bottle of lucas and it seems to lubricate everything well and give me better MPG everytime I pour a bottle in. I think its a 8 oz bottle and use on 24 gallon tank. Or is Amsoil the better way to go for deisel additives?

·
Registered
419 Posts
it's cheap insurance, and it works, i use amsoil, but theres other good ones

·
Vendor
10,964 Posts
What do you guys think about LUCAS products? They say its good for GAS and DIESEL. Anyone here recommend LUCAS for Diesel? I use Lucas on my GAS truck every oil change I pour a bottle of lucas and it seems to lubricate everything well and give me better MPG everytime I pour a bottle in. I think its a 8 oz bottle and use on 24 gallon tank. Or is Amsoil the better way to go for deisel additives?
I wouldn't recommend Lucas sorry, has a tendency to foam up plus doesn't do much to help clean. AMSOIL is defintely the better way or at least pick a more rounded additive, without alcohol, that will help keep things clean and lubbed.

Let me know if I can help with AMSOIL products for you.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I use Diesel Kleen and an occasional of 2 cycle oil. It's one of those in there on every tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts