Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several GM vehicles that have the coating on the radio buttons flaking away. Is my 06 subject to this too? If so, what is the easiest way to prevent it? I was thinking about some clear plastic / vinyl sticker on the face of the buttons. I'm leaving this stereo in, so I need it to last!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not interested in an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
best way is to get a aftermarket radio is what i would say
Wow, worthless post. :rolleyes:

Obviously the buttons won't flake off if the stereo isn't in the truck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've seen all models of GM radios with the buttons faded,peeleing. I guess the only way to keep them fresh is to find a station and leave it there for eternity. I was also thinking maybe clear nail polish. Haven't tried it tho.

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
not like that J/A i know i was just saying because if you dont want it to fade than ride it out till they start to fade than get a aftermarket radio

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The culprit is the oil in your skin from touching. Try and use the edge of your nail instead of your fingerprint...or you could just clean it regularly of the residue buildup. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread but since we're on this. Does anyone know where to get replacement knobs or fix the ones that are flaking? I thought about flat black paint, who needs the words on the knobs, right?

·
Registered
188 Posts
never touch your radio...ever......
but to be more serious i think your best option would just be once the radio starts flaking and it gets to the "point of no return" put in an aftermarket...i know you said u dont want aftermarket but u can get one for really cheap..aftermarket is the way to go for radio stuff

·
Registered
224 Posts
In my case I'm selling my 1500 in which this is happening so don't want to invest in a different unit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
go to gmpartsdirect.com... i'm going to replace mine if i can figure out how to remove & install the new ones... they vary in price from $10-20 IIRC

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
yes.............

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
never touch your radio...ever......
but to be more serious i think your best option would just be once the radio starts flaking and it gets to the "point of no return" put in an aftermarket...i know you said u dont want aftermarket but u can get one for really cheap..aftermarket is the way to go for radio stuff

he dosent want a aftermarket radio he made it very clear to me i was saying what you said he said basicly no

1 - 17 of 17 Posts