Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i currently own a 2007 nbs GMC Sierra with a 5.3, i have only had it for 3 1/2 months and have already put on 15,000 kms. With my current working/living situation i will be putting on alot of miles. However i will not be towing anything on a regular basis, maybe small trailers occasionally (once a month). The reason i would like to get a Duramax is because they will last forever when properly cared for vs a gas V8, and should get better MPG. I would plan on keeping it for a long time and not do any power mods, just keep it running right and maybe a tune for better MPG. If i were to buy one i would sell my current truck and use the duramax as a daily driver. Are my reasons to buy a Duramax legit? or am i just trying to make excuses because i want one...

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
do all 06-07 have the LBZ? if not how would i tell what they have?
The 06's can be lly's or lbz's, but the 06 lly is the same motor mechanically as the lbz but with a lower hp rating due to tuning. 07's can be lmm's but those are NBS only.
An 06 lly is not the same as an 04.5-05 lly either. Don't get them confused.
You can tell from the vin #'s I don't know the exact things to lookfor but I can find them.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
using the vin number,count the 8th didgit in from passenger sire to driverside and if it is a
1=LB7 used 01 thru 04
2=LLY used 04.5 thru 05
now to tell if you have the 04-05 LLY or the 06 LLY count on in to the 10TH didgit and if it is a 6 it is the 06 LLY same as the LBZ
D=LBZ used 06 thru 07
6=LMM used 07.5-10
(Copied and edited from another post)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't expect mileage to be a big difference. I run about 15 liters per 100km on then highway and 20L/100km around town, your 5.3 is proabably pretty similar. As far as the last forever thing, these things do require work, and it is rarely cheap. As much as I love my Diesel, if you're not hauling and towing, they are hard to justify.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
LBZ or LMM, I'd drive either/or any day of the week. Great trucks to use for any purpose.
Lmm's are great, it's just that you have to remove the crappy ass dpf to get decent mileage! I got paid 325$ by a forum member here(don't remember who) for just the dpf and cat..my aftermarket exhaust was 280$ so the lmm put me out ahead on that..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mackyoudip! thats awesome. I do not have much knowledge of Duramax's or diesels in general, if anyone has any info for general knowedge i should know that'd be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't expect mileage to be a big difference. I run about 15 liters per 100km on then highway and 20L/100km around town, your 5.3 is proabably pretty similar. As far as the last forever thing, these things do require work, and it is rarely cheap. As much as I love my Diesel, if you're not hauling and towing, they are hard to justify.
Yes, that is understandable. But for me i'd rather invest in a diesel than buy a new gasser every 2-3 yrs.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
You have a six wheeler though......

An lbz or LMM with exhaust and a tune will get him better mpg than the turd he's driving now. I came from the exact same thing and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Check/change your fuel filter regularly, diesel oil once used will come out black as night no matter what the mileage, efi live is the best tune tool for the duramax if you decide to tune it.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Lmm's are great, it's just that you have to remove the crappy ass dpf to get decent mileage! I got paid 325$ by a forum member here(don't remember who) for just the dpf and cat..my aftermarket exhaust was 280$ so the lmm put me out ahead on that..
Very true, mine goes on Monday thank fk. But exhaust is no biggie and a tune isn't either.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
You have a six wheeler though......

An lbz or LMM with exhaust and a tune will get him better mpg than the turd he's driving now. I came from the exact same thing and have never regretted it.
X2, on my mileage tune I get about 3mpg better on average than when I drive my mothers suburban with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears (best fuel Eco gears for these damn things) the dually my dad drives gets terrible mileage stock with the dpf.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
X2, on my mileage tune I get about 3mpg better on average than when I drive my mothers suburban with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears (best fuel Eco gears for these damn things) the dually my dad drives gets terrible mileage stock with the dpf.
My truck is a Z71 so it has 3.73 gears. I average 16 mpg highway when i am driving responsibly and like 12-13 when i'm givener. When i have a sled or dirtbikes in the back and loaded up with gear (i am usually loaded like this when going on long trips) it is definitly noticeable at the pump.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Yup, just loaned my v2 to a guy on here that has an LMM dually and he was gettin 12 at the most iirc. In winter it was 10 cause he was in regen all the time, lol.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
My truck is a Z71 so it has 3.73 gears. I average 16 mpg highway when i am driving responsibly and like 12-13 when i'm givener. When i have a sled or dirtbikes in the back and loaded up with gear (i am usually loaded like this when going on long trips) it is definitly noticeable at the pump.
Yeah, my dads dually gets about 12-13 avg mpg and the burb gets about 14 mpg avg here in town. My ecsb gets about 15-16 in town when I want it to and about 18-20 highway, it also makes the 5.3 look SLOW even on my Eco tune!
I wish the burb we have had those because the gears it has make it gutless for not much gain if any in mpg..

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
screw mileage, best thing about a diesel like a duramax is that they are tire shredding monsters with an exhaust and EFI

1 - 20 of 32 Posts