Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here it is.
bought the truck with efi on it. it was just a dpf delete tune.
couple years ago sprung for new tunes from local guy. also got the v2.
now the question is, how good are they. and how do I find out?

I've been running them for a couple years, no major issues really. my highway mpg is about 19-20. in town is only 14 or so. towing the 5ver is about 10. the towing mpg may be able to be improved I think,

it also seems to rattle slightly under load at low rpm, more than it used to.

so how do I go about finding someone to check out these tunes? log it and send them a log file? will they be able to find a fault in the current tune? will they be willing to adjust someone elses tune?

I know I could just go ahead and spend 250 for new tunes from rob or cory, but was just curious if I could do this a bit cheaper, since I have probably decent tunes now that maybe a slight tweak would improve.

im willing to spend some money on this, just hoping not to have to pop for the full 250. is there a re-tune fee or something?

feel free to let me know if i'm way out in left field here, any insight would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
You probably could get Kory or Rob to look at some logs but theyll probably just want to sell you a set of there tunes. Who knows what kind of mess you have set up for you now. Itd probably cost the same to have them fix the tunes as just buying a set of there tunes...

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
Does your tow tune have a built in turbo brake? If not, ditch your tunes & get Rob's or Kory's. Tow tune alone would be worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It might be worth it just for peace of mind.

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
How high do your EGT's get? Towing & WOT?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the turbo brake on the tow tune. yeah its awesome.

I don't have a pyro, so i'm unsure of the egt.

the tune doesn't smoke, just a slight haze when I first get on it on the 120 tune.

I have a 200+ tune that im holding in reserve for a built trans.

the 120 is my dd.

also a 60 heavy tow and a 80 light tow. both with TB

the last one is the stock-ish tune that was on the truck before getting the dsp5.

·
Registered
965 Posts
So far doesn't sounds too bad

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is the pressure rattle caused by, and how concerned should I be about it?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
here it is.
bought the truck with efi on it. it was just a dpf delete tune.
couple years ago sprung for new tunes from local guy. also got the v2.
now the question is, how good are they. and how do I find out?

I've been running them for a couple years, no major issues really. my highway mpg is about 19-20. in town is only 14 or so. towing the 5ver is about 10. the towing mpg may be able to be improved I think,

it also seems to rattle slightly under load at low rpm, more than it used to.

so how do I go about finding someone to check out these tunes? log it and send them a log file? will they be able to find a fault in the current tune? will they be willing to adjust someone elses tune?

I know I could just go ahead and spend 250 for new tunes from rob or cory, but was just curious if I could do this a bit cheaper, since I have probably decent tunes now that maybe a slight tweak would improve.

im willing to spend some money on this, just hoping not to have to pop for the full 250. is there a re-tune fee or something?

feel free to let me know if i'm way out in left field here, any insight would be appreciated. thanks.
Who is the local guy?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'd kinda rather not mention who. As this is not a bash on him. as I said the tunes are pretty good, (I think)... just want to be 100% sure.

also, as I have never had any other tunes, canned or otherwise, I have no reference for a comparison. who knows.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Sound like the rattle on the first tune/longhorn?

YouTube

Grr on my phone wont let me link it. Look up idaho rob vs longhorn fab. Rattles pretty bad down low on the longhorn tune

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Rob and Kory will not look at ANY tuners files. This is out of respect for the work that was put into the tuning, and they would expect the same respect. That being said there are some tuners that will check a log and adjust it or tell you what needs adjustment. You need to get a pyro and see what EGT's are to really tell if the tune is going to do harm.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rob and Kory will not look at ANY tuners files. This is out of respect for the work that was put into the tuning, and they would expect the same respect. That being said there are some tuners that will check a log and adjust it or tell you what needs adjustment. You need to get a pyro and see what EGT's are to really tell if the tune is going to do harm.
this is what I suspected would be the case, and I can completely understand where they're coming from. it would have been nice to get some input from the industrys top guy(s).

I may just have to lay out the cash for their tunes after all. probably the best anyway.

I watched that vid and can't really tell, the audio wasn't the best on my laptop.

looks like I may also pony up for an egt probe. which means maybe a cts to monitor it. jeez, never done,, love it and hate it at the same time.

thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts