Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

My 2006 2500 duramax crew cab needs tires. I have used 265/75/16 for years and had no issues at all. I have been and will still be using the stock polished aluminum 16" wheels. Still not sure if 265/75/16 or 285/75/16. My heart says 285's and my brain says 265's.

Anyway i am OK with turning torsion keys to get 1" or so lift to help clear 285's. And I'm OK with a little plastic trimming, no biggie. If I go with 285's and decide to turn the bars enough to get 1" or so - will I need to do anything with the shocks? I'd like to get new ones eventually, but I'll be cashing $800-$1k for tires and I don't have an extra $300 for new shocks right now. If spacers are an option, does anybody have a link for them? Thanks, Clint

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shock extensions are cheap, you can get them for about $40. That is cheaper than over extending a stock length shock.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
For what you're doing no

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
If your concerned, mark your shock setting on the ground, then jack up the front to where the tires are just off the ground, remove the lower shock bolt and check if you still have up travel available on your shock.
If you do then :thumb, if you don’t then figure out how much more travel you’ll need.

Bilstein has shocks 2” longer than stock used for leveling kits when not using extensions.
If you need less than 2” then call Bilstein tech support for them to find what shock would work with your measurements, if yours won’t work.

First I installed a leveling kit it was cranked up about 3 1/4”.
The 2” extensions was not enough, front shocks was still over extended, I installed these 2” longer shocks. :thumb.
But I suffered with the ride, I eventually went with a Cognito non torsion bar 4” lift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts