Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 05-07.5 LLY/LBZ and 2006 Yukon XL the same?

·
Super Moderator
1,151 Posts
A 2006 Yukon XL 2500 in theory uses the same frame as any 2500 truck, but shortened. A crew cab with the 6'5' bed is far longer than a Yukon XL, since I believe the Yukon XL has the same wheelbase as an Avalanche (crew cab 4'2" bed).

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
The SUV frame is narrower in the back after the cab. The front suspension points are the same. The truck body sits 2 in higher for clearance of the Allison Trans.

A trailer hitch receiver is not swappable between the two.

Avalon

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The SUV frame is narrower in the back after the cab. The front suspension points are the same. The truck body sits 2 in higher for clearance of the Allison Trans.

A trailer hitch receiver is not swappable between the two.

Avalon

Just as bit of added info. GM light duty truck frames are made in 3 sections (Front, Center, Rear). In comparing the 01-07.5 HD trucks to the 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL you are correct that the rear sections are different, however the center sections & front sections are different as well even though they both share the same front suspension components. The HD uses a different rear torsion bar support bracket, and heavier torsion bars. You are also correct that the body on the HD sits about 2" higher because the body mounts are mounted 2" higher on the HD frame so the body can clear the Allison trans. The front clip on the HD's are also taller than the SUV's because of the much larger radiator.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang.

I have the opportunity to buy a rolled 2006 LLY inexpensively (runs and drives, just cab/bed damage) and an 06 Yukon XL Denali also inexpensively, but it sounds like the swap is more involved than I can take on at the moment... :(

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
You can swap the engine/trans etc into the Denali but the SUV body will NOT swap onto the truck frame.

·
Registered
289 Posts
the rear of the frame where the box is mounted is also higher to make the box level with cab on a pick up and almost flat on the Yukon because the cab goes the whole length of the frame.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is that also a confirmation that the frames are different widths or is it just body mount differences?

·
Registered
289 Posts
That I can't confirm I'm new to swap yet. But I know they are way diffrent and body swap will not work. Thought about that for myself already.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The frames are different. The 2500HD/3500 trucks have the "HVY" frame, which is 2" taller.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anything can be made to fit, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do. Go for it. Post lots of pics.

My dream project if I had lots of money and time is to graft the back doors and hatch onto a crew cab pu to make a 6-door Silvaburban 3500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fell into a damaged LMM 3500 4X4 for 8k. I just found a parts yard out here in Cali willing to cut the front frame section out of an 04 2500hd Suburban 4X4. If they are any different, it's not enough not to make it work somehow. I looked pretty close and also took some pics to compare with my own. I couldn't see any major differences at all. I will only know for sure once it's delivered though..

For $350 delivered, imo it was worth the gamble.

Sorry to wake this old thread. I'll start another with pics asap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts