Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2015 that was factory ordered and I took delivery of it back in July of 2014. The truck was configured with the trailering mirrors. (Heat, turn signal, and power included)

The new powerfold Mirrors with the running lights have been a serious interest to many, including myself. In fact, there's so much interest GM has created a specific kit and instructions to add these new mirrors. So.... I questioned the dealer today, installing the new mirrors, with new switches, and new wire harnesses to make everything work along with reprogramming. $1600 out the door.

Are the benefits of the new mirrors worth the cost?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
567 Posts
You cannot get the power fold tow mirrors in a kit, the kits are only for non folding mirrors.

Since your truck is pre August 2014, it will be alot more work to get everything to work like the 2015.5 trucks.

Like others have said, not worth it.

· Registered
471 Posts
I wouldn't pay $1,600 for the upgrade, but I love my new DQS mirrors .... only a $150 investment for me thanks to a $500 gift card from GM following a DEF fill complaint and an Ebay sale of my DPN mirrors.

· Registered
242 Posts
you can get the mirrors on ebay a lot cheaper, and get the window switch and wiring there too. Price it out......they take about 30 minutes to install once you figure out how to take the door panels off (pretty simple). I have a pre-August truck, and just wired the amber light to my blinkers (its not a running light on mine, only works with the blinkers), and wired the backup lights to the puddle lights so they come on when i unlock the truck.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
When I bought my 2011 truck the power part of the tow mirrors had been deleted. I asked the dealer about it and he said that there were too many problems with them not working and so GM switched to tow mirrors that have the turn signal and heaters and can adjust from the inside switch but the user has to pull them out by hand.

I am glad I got the none power type as pulling out the mirrors when towing is no big deal and I have no worries about spending hundreds of dollars for repairs on them down the road.

In my case the truck had the standard mirrors and I got the dealer to switch them for the GM tow mirrors at no charge. Lot easier to deal before you agree to buy the truck. I got the free tow mirrors, free GM tool box, free GM side steps, free GM bed liner. Dealer got the sale of the truck.

· Registered
2 Posts
you can get the mirrors on ebay a lot cheaper, and get the window switch and wiring there too. Price it out......they take about 30 minutes to install once you figure out how to take the door panels off (pretty simple). I have a pre-August truck, and just wired the amber light to my blinkers (its not a running light on mine, only works with the blinkers), and wired the backup lights to the puddle lights so they come on when i unlock the truck.
I got the mirrors from chevy, and thought they’d work, but the backup lights and power fold isn’t working… I ordered the wiring kit which should fix the backup lights, but there’s going to still be an issue with the power fold… besides a dealership how can I fix the power fold?

· Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
881 Posts
Boost auto sells thew mirrors for less, I bought the kit to turn my mirror running lights to turn signal also

· Registered
471 Posts
See my "how to" post to answer any question about this upgrade working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts