Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there MPG benefits to running synthetic oil or even something like lucas oil stabilizer?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Yes, because of the uniform formulation of the individual molecules of Full Synthetic Oil as apposed to conventional, it flows much better, causinf not only better efficiency, but reduced heat and wear as well.....

Send me a PM if you would like to know more...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have also heard yes. I am changing over on my next oil change. I have synthetic EVERYWHERE else. I will be seeing you bigdaddy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Everything I have put amsoil synthetics in has gained mpgs. Did the wife's 07 accord 2mpg, did the dodge motor and diffs 1.5mpg, the duramax 1mpg. I have it in the lawnmower and generator but no way to track fuel consumption. It works and I like it.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Yes there are benefits however they are not huge so don't expect 3mpg cause its just not realistic. However most people don't switch to synthetic for MPG benefits anyway. The other benefits are a much bigger prize and the mpg gain is a bonus. Just want to be realistic with you. :drink

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you see the biggest difference when you change all the fluids to Amsoil------ I did !!! :rockin Bigdaddydiesel will hook you up !!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to find all the benefits with synthetic oil so it makes it easier spending those extra dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I am trying to find all the benefits with synthetic oil so it makes it easier spending those extra dollars.
it will actually save you money.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Actually when you use synthetics to their potential your not spending extra dollars you are saving dollars. If you are changing oil at 5k now and your spending 60.00 for a filter and oil over 15k miles you will spend 180.00. If you were to use Amsoil synthetics and go 15k miles under the warranty that Amsoil offers you would be spending approx 25.00 -35.00 more dollars up front and then not doing the next two changes.

This is based on you becoming a preferred customer and using AME 15W-40 oil and the EAO52 oil filter. So you will spend less in 15k miles and you will gain the cooler running temps, better stability in the oil under stress and high temps, less wear internally and slightly better fuel mileage. :drink

·
Timeless Perfection!
795 Posts
It makes the parts move quicker! LOL!

I am not a pro... On Oil... I change my oil now every 10K mi. I do my Fuel Filter every 15K miles, I would like to do them all at once. So in a few 100 miles I'll be going Amsoil for the extra life and then I'll just do one work day for all fluids and filters. That is what I'm thinking This would save me $$$$ over time, lots!

And Just to throw this out... I've heard that it stays cleaner causing less friction and build-up thus allowing for a very slight increase in MPG's.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
I am not a pro... On Oil... I change my oil now every 10K mi. I do my Fuel Filter every 15K miles, I would like to do them all at once. So in a few 100 miles I'll be going Amsoil for the extra life and then I'll just do one work day for all fluids and filters. That is what I'm thinking This would save me $$$$ over time, lots!

And Just to throw this out... I've heard that it stays cleaner causing less friction and build-up thus allowing for a very slight increase in MPG's.
Yes it does save time too but most people don't want to incorporate what their time is worth they just want to see dollars and cents on the receipt. Amsoil is still very competitive on the receipt if you are a preferred customer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello E Money,

I have been using Amsoil for twenty plus years. I have had excellent results with all applications. Like one of the other members here, I use it in everything I own. I have a ten year old lawn mower that is Amsoil equipped and it starts every year on the first pull.

Keep one thing in mind. Amsoil was the original synthetic oil. All the other companies that sell it have copied the original. Amsoil is not in any other type of business besides producing quality synthetic lubricants. As to MPG increases, you are not likely to get a huge increase in mpg from the change. Smaller displacement engines seem to respond better, but then anything you do to a small displacement engine is more noticable.

Amsoil will make your Duramax last longer and run better. It's that simple. Amsoil is not cheap, but if you were looking to cut corners you would never have asked the question about synthetics. Many of the major brands have TV and magazine ads for their "synthetic" products but if you watch many of the off road racing shows you can count the Amsoil decals. It speaks volumes about what the racers trust that are not dipping into the pockets of an advertiser.

Amsoil is without a doubt the way to go. My truck is new, and has less than 1,000 miles, so I have not made the switch but you can bet the first change will be to 5W-40 Amsoil Diesel.

Bamamax
2009 C-3500

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like AMSOIL is the popular choice. I live in North Dakota and sometimes in the winter it will be -20F or colder and I was wondering if the 15w-40 AMSOIL be thick to run in the winter. I probably will not drive enough miles in the summer time to justify changing my oil would it be ok to run the 15w-40 in the winter?

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Sounds like AMSOIL is the popular choice. I live in North Dakota and sometimes in the winter it will be -20F or colder and I was wondering if the 15w-40 AMSOIL be thick to run in the winter. I probably will not drive enough miles in the summer time to justify changing my oil would it be ok to run the 15w-40 in the winter?
You would be just fine with the AME 15W-40 in the winter especially if you plug in. If you are worried about it I would run the 5W-40 DEO oil that will give you the cold start and still offer all the protection of the 40 weight oil. :wink

·
Registered
184 Posts
you don't need to change up in winter as this is a quote of the site

AMSOIL AME remains fluid down to -44°F. It eases cold weather starting and provides vital start-up lubrication to prevent engine wear. AME outperforms conventional 15W-40 petroleum oils and greatly minimizes the impact of cold weather operation.

·
Timeless Perfection!
795 Posts
better MPG...

I've talked to a Diesel Mechanic, on the synthetic stuff, I told him about what I was wanting to do.

HE said, if I replace the Rear end w/ synthetic that it would increase my MPG, I shot him a BS looka nd he said I know it sounds odd but think about it, if it takes less to get the rear end turning will that not incredase your MPG?

So If you to the rear differntial, then yes. but I don't know by how much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great info will be looking into synthetics more seriously now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts