Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy CCSB 164k mi. Banks parts, 10” lift on 35’s for now
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a build thread but I bought a project that keeps snowballing more and more. It’s an ‘06 ccsb, gray metallic, LT trim, leather, sunroof, etc. Also it’s from California, rust free. Here in northern IL everything is rotted out and beat up so finding a mechanically solid and minimal rust is rare. Also has Banks intake, 6-gun, straight pipe. Now the bad… 10” lift and 35’s. I need a tow vehicle, so that will have to be removed. Body has plenty of scratches and dings. Interior is really rough. Leather is baked. Carpet is disgusting. Everything is dirty/stained. And the rear corners were wet the first day I went to look at it. Let’s get started
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention the check engine light was on. Active codes for 3 of the glow plugs. Otherwise the injector data looked great, fluids look good. Ran and shifted great. We made a deal and I took it home.
First was the 3rd brake light gasket. I figured that was the source of the water on the back corners. It had rained before I went to look at the truck. Ordered a gasket on Amazon that looked the best. Also smoked the lens while I had it off to match the rest of the lights. I later found that was not the only place water was coming in

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next I replaced the transmission cooler lines. They had been replaced before but none of the brackets were there and the lines were bent from hitting the steering idler arm. I installed the Deviant Racing 1/2” hose kit. The 10” lift made this job really easy. No drama with the hoses but the Banks air box had to be removed for access and the next problem was found.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PO had NEVER serviced the filter. It was junk to say the least. When I tried to install the new filter it wouldn’t fit. The mouth of the airbox lid where the filter clamps was deformed and now smaller than the new filter. I needed to reshape the opening somehow and reinforce it. A 6” pvc sewer cap worked perfect. I cut a 3/4” ring from the pvc and used my heat gun on the lid to open it back up and fit the pvc. I used some epoxy to bond the pvc to the lid and clamped it until it was cured. Finally, I cleaned the box and tubing, cleaned the MAF and reinstalled everything. It definitely runs better now. On to the next job…

·
Super Moderator
2,766 Posts
Hello and welcome. I dunno, kinda seems like a good contender for a build thread. I'd like to move it there if it's ok with you.

·
Super Moderator
2,766 Posts
Oh, and take some pictures, we love em. You'll have a lot of "help" thrown your way as well. 🤪

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I wasn’t sure where to post this or how much detail to put in to it. I’ll post some more pictures too.
The PO said the lift was installed in 2016. Cognito kit. The ride is actually really good, it’s just too much for my family to climb up in to lol. And the toy hauler is 8000lb empty.
I’m almost done with the interior so there’s lots more to post.

·
Super Moderator
2,766 Posts
@JXsedan ,
You're all set in the build thread area. It's your post, so you post as much or as little as you want.
I will say that the rest of the community here loves the details. If you need advice, the guys here will be happy to oblige, and the more of the picture you paint, the better the input you'll get.
Sometimes too it can be used vent about the process. We've all had a bolt snap at some point in our shade tree mechanic profession. 😉
All and all, welcome to the forum, and good luck in your journey. You're in a good spot to receive real, qualified help should you need it.

Reactions: flyinhawaiian968

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. I actually have an ‘04 as well but it’s a 6.0 gas. I looked at diesels when I bought that truck 7 years ago but didn’t need it then. When we bought the toy hauler 2 years ago the mfr said it weighed 6050lbs. The scale at work showed 7900 with absolutely nothing in it. Started looking for a Duramax then and after 1 trip to Michigan last fall I had to find one. I strongly considered doing the swap on my truck too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the next thing I looked at on the truck was the steering. The steering wheel could rock freely a 1/4 turn L-R. I figured one of the heim ends on the tie rods was wasted so I had my wife turn the wheel bac n forth while I looked at everything. Nothing was moving, only the steering shaft. Turned out to be the pinch bolt that locks the steering shaft to the gearbox was not fully tightened. “Wonder how long that’s been loose?” Luckily it tightened up and seems good now. But I did notice a small spot on the ground. And the radio didn’t work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, the radio. Pioneer dvd touchscreen. When I originally test drove the truck the radio was blasting away. I quickly shut it off and never looked at it again. Now it’s all static. Then I realize there is no antenna mast, only the base. The steering wheel radio controls don’t work either. I picked up an antenna on a trip to the junkyard but it didn’t help. Pulled the head unit to make sure it was connected, it was. But they didn’t use an interface to connect the steering wheel controls. And the cd/dvd drive doesn’t work. Another Amazon order was made. I also made a list of parts needed remove the lift and put it back to stock. I had a few days off so I made a trip to Hicksville to pick it all up. They were great and got me everything I needed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
...I had a few days off so I made a trip to Hicksville to pick it all up...
The fact that you can just "make a trip to Hicksville" alone makes me jealous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should clarify that this all started in April so I’m condensing a lot. The air filter and box repair took a week between finding it, ordering a filter, seeing that it doesn’t fit and 2 trips to Menards trying different things to fix it. I did get some parts from the local U-Pull It but they only had 1500’s. Hicksville was worth the 5hr drive to get really nice parts all in one stop. I also grabbed a few things for my 04 and parts for a friend’s 05.
Originally I planned on the interior last. I would just clean it best I could and tackle that next year. My wife had other plans. Interior was first on her list. The seats had to be recovered and I figured if I’m pulling everything out I’ll replace the carpeting too. We decided to go with darker materials and she ordered some samples.
I was looking at leveling kits and 2-3” lifts too. I still needed all the stock stuff when I take off the 10” kit but wanted it to at least be leveled or up an inch or 2 from stock. Fast forward a bit and I bought the Zone 3” kit withFox shocks. It’s all still in the boxes waiting.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Welcome from another hostage in the peoples republik of Illinoistan. Cool build

I'm in the north west.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You may need to weld a bracket back on for the front diff. My 2008 when i put in the 6" RCX lift, i had to cut some bracketry to bolt the front in. Can't remember exactly which one. Thinking for mounting the front diff. You're may be different though. the 3" lift is better than a level kit. My 10 came with a level kit and rides pretty darn stiff. I'll swap some day for a 4 or 6" suspension lift.

Yes great build you are doing it right!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly right about the bracket being cut off of the lower left crossmember mounting, behind the lower control arm mounting pocket. When I called Hicksville they had me text a few pictures so they could see exactly what I was looking for. But the Zone lift also cuts that bracket off too so I guess it’s a spare part now. I’m also very lucky to still have my 04 for reference. Once the gray truck is done I’ll sell the 04. Hopefully soon as this is really stretching the bank account. On a side note the reason Im posting so much is being home with Covid. Normally I’m working 65hr/week fixing garbage trucks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Exactly, if simply replace with a smaller lift you shouldn't need that bracket. That's only if going for stock diff placement.

Oh man that sucks, hope you get well soon!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts