Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a rattle in both front brake calipers that refuses to go away no matter what I do. When brake pressure is applied the rattle goes away, but any little crack or bump in the road causes an awful metal on metal rattle. And don't even get me started about dirt roads. I'd heard the pad clips are bad and that causes it, so I replaced the pads and put new clips in. The rattle went away for about 300 miles and now it's just as bad as it always has been. I think the problem is the fact that the caliper is two parts? I really don't know but I'm so fed up with it that it's ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas or do I need to try all new calipers?

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Its the pins that hold the caliper together. There is a rubber bushing inside that wears and causes the rattle...I tried the autozone pins and it solved it for about a year. I'm gonna try the gm parts next.

I chased that sound for a while...even changed cab mounts lol. Its annoying but a rather simple fix. The hardest part is getting the rubber pieces out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Fricken Chicken I'm not the only one!!

My drivers side rattles like a SOB. I've done it all and nothing lasts. Next spring I'm buying a new calliper and pads and starting over. My guess is that the tab where the brake slide on is worn just enough that the clips don't work as they should.

Lets not talk about my rear brake sqeeking. That's a whole nuther discussion.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its the pins that hold the caliper together. There is a rubber bushing inside that wears and causes the rattle...I tried the autozone pins and it solved it for about a year. I'm gonna try the gm parts next.

I chased that sound for a while...even changed cab mounts lol. Its annoying but a rather simple fix. The hardest part is getting the rubber pieces out.
Made no difference on mine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add that I also changing those rubber bushings or whatever out also, and they were a pain in the ass but they've all been changed. I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Mine are rattling as well.
It's probably the brake hardware abutment clips.
Need to bend them a little to take up the slack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts