Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a personal preference, and many don't plug them in at all, but for those who do I was just curious as to how cold the temperature has to get before you plug in the block heater

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I usually plug in my heater if temp is forecast to go near 15 overnight.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
10-15degrees.. Getting close at night now in NY..

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I try to use the 10 - 15 degree rule as it seems most do. Usually will only do it for an hour or two before I plan to head out. I tried it once; truck sat for a week and we had -27 overnight. Started the next morning without being plugged in. It was not happy about it but I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be left somewhere if I could not plug in.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Its that time of the year again. The cold weather threads will begin to surface. :)
Low 30s for me. With a timer set to turn on/stay on for 2-4 hrs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Certain years of trucks will throw codes at start up if they are plugged in for long periods of time if the ambient air temp is in the 20-30 degree range.

There's some pre-checks that happen at start up which measure ambient air temp and coolant temp, if there's a certain differential (or lack of temp differential), codes get set.

A search here should turn up some info on it.

My 06 threw some codes 30 minutes in to my drive and shifted like the truck was in tow-haul mode when I plugged it in when the temp was just barely below 30.

·
Its just a worktruck
19 Sierra
13,908 Posts
I plug mine in as soon as its below freezing.

Certain years of trucks will throw codes at start up if they are plugged in for long periods of time if the ambient air temp is in the 20-30 degree range.

There's some pre-checks that happen at start up which measure ambient air temp and coolant temp, if there's a certain differential (or lack of temp differential), codes get set.

My 06 threw some codes 30 minutes in to my drive and shifted like the truck was in tow-haul mode when I plugged it in when the temp was just barely below 30.
Ive never heard of that happening. I leave mine plugged in for 8-10 hrs sometimes. I used the block heater all winter last year due to my glowplugs not working and didint have a single issue.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I didn't plug mine in to often or I forgot to and it's started in -5 degrees. Didn't like it for sure but she did it

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Mine did that when it was plugged in and temps were mid 20's. Terrible shifts, low boost, no power and had like 8 or 9 codes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it hasn't run for like 8 hrs plug in for a couple when its below zero.
If its going to be 4 or more since ran plug at -25
Pretty much if it will be more than an hour or two plug at -35
Plugging from 30 to 0 is just of its not your electric bill and or heat immediately is that important

There is no help for the stupid fluid fan clutch that I know of though.

I can personally attest to firing up at a sustained -35 with no help. I never see duramaxs with issues. Cummins are lucky to make it to double digit negatives and powerstorkes are all over the place, some work and some can't handle just freezing

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I usually plug in at 15 or lower if I know the truck will be sitting for a day or two I Usually plug in 1-2 hours before start up .

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
I have remote start now, so may stop plugging in less, we shall see

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am a wuss. If it gets below 40 I'll plug it in (if I remember). Iirc the newer trucks have a temp sensor so if it is too warm it won't work anyways. So I figure better safe than sorry and leave it up to the truck to decide when it wants to be warm

2015 GMC 3500hd Denali crewcab drw 4x4... Leaving this one stock

·
Registered
63 Posts
I plug in at anything below 0 Celsius(32F) but ive found that the truck starts much better with a full synthetic oil(rotella 5w40 is what i run) which I have run since I got my truck. but my truck starts much better than are work trucks that run a standard 15w40 oil at low temps.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I only bother to plug it in if it's colder than -15 C overnight. It sounds harsh, but I can only plug my truck in if I park it in my alleyway, which I dislike doing because it's right against a ravine which makes it a great place to have a vehicle broken into, so I only park there and plug it in if absolutely necessary.

Never had any issues starting it in the winter when it's been hovering between -15 C and 0 C anyway, and I make sure to give it 10-15 minutes high idling to get it warm. I'm thinking about purchasing a Webasto coolant heater so I never have to worry about plugging it in ever again.

·
Spreadin' the BBQ Love!
85 Posts
Noob question, how would I know if I have a heater. I'm going up North in December and want to make sure that I have what I need.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.