Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of plowing with my truck this year. I hear you cant put that big of a plow on a crew cab and would probably only run a 7ft straight blade or something. what i'm really asking is how much wear is it really from plowing? i no the IFS doesn't hold up to well but has anyone else experience anything else due to plowing? my trucks my baby and i hate the thought of beating her but the extra money is attractive.

My girlfriend lives in a very rich part of town and i know i could pick up business, it would mostly be small residential drives and i could prob plow my works medium sized stone parking lot, i would try my best to take it easy on her but any input from experienced snow plowers would be great! Thanks in advance!

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
Lots of guys run 8' -8.5' blades.. I run a 8' 6" fisher v plow and i've had no issues over the past three winters. Contrary to alot of guys the IFS on the trucks hold up just fine to plowing and anything else you wanna put your truck trough. I cranked the t bars a bit to stop some sag also.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Ive been plowing since I was 13 and plowing on any truck beats the living crap outta of um espically our trucks. You can run a 8' 1/2'' foot straight or V plow just fine. I run a Boss 8.2 V on my Dmax and never have a problem pushing snow, just have to crank the T-bars a bit. You just wear out the same steering parts quicker.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't get anything smaller than an 8 ft. You'll regret it if you do. Time is money. My brother has an 8 ft on his CCSB and has zero problems. As far as it being hard on your truck, thats up to you. A lot of people jam gears. Thats what is hard on things (that and hitting curbs and such). In mine i come to a complete stop, hit neutral til its unloaded, THEN hit reverse. Is it overkill? Possibly. But i haven't had a transmission failure (knock on wood) and i feel its because of being easy on it. Good luck!

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
x2 on what he said.. also you see some guys hammer through the pile of snow... I just coast into it and let the pile bring your plow up.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Time is money! If your doing commerical lots, go with a V youll be happy you did when it comes to clean up or first passes. If your just doing driveways a 8ft straight will work just fine, just make sure to lift the blade before you hit the grass .02

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
Time is money! If your doing commerical lots, go with a V youll be happy you did when it comes to clean up or first passes. If your just doing driveways a 8ft straight will work just fine, just make sure to lift the blade before you hit the grass .02
Haha. I know exactly what you mean... However, you never see the damage until the spring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
biggest things are just to wait til the truck stops to shift into neutral and don't plow in overdrive and try to stay out of ditches and mark things with stakes that you don't want to hit

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
I ran a plow on my 04 until I just got this new '11. I've been plowing since I was 14 and still no problems. I would be more worried about staying awake on those 30+hr days haha. But on my 04 I had a complete cognito front end and i'm pretty sure thats what saved me.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I do about 90% large commerical and apartment complexes, and when i got my Dmax I bought a Western MVP 8.5 and sold it after the first storm and bought a Boss V 8.2. The Fisher and Western V blades are to heavy for the IFS IMO. I will only by Boss now plus its nice that if a plow is down you can switch it out with another doesnt matter straight or V mounts the same and just swap controllers. Beware of evil storm drains

·
Registered
813 Posts
we get the heaviest snow in north amercia and are one of the snowiest cities in north amercia... the biggest problem with our fleet trucks is guys trying to get the banks moving by hitting at speed. personnally i like the sno-way system with the downpressure system, and i only use v blades.

anyway, our trucks dont wear out any quicker, just we have a few extra parts to replace. if your careful you can get a couple of seasons pushing out of a front end, or you could destroy a front end in 2-3 weeks if youre not careful...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was looking at the Western Wideout plow. Sure looks like that thing will hold some snow. The Western dealer won't even sell it to me because of liablilty issues due to front end weight ratings. Kind of pisses me off that I can't put that plow on my truck. I have a 3/4 ton truck, i figured it would handle any plow. A little off the subject, but what tires do you snow plow guys run? We get enough snow here and I frequent the lakes for fishing.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I was looking at the Western Wideout plow. Sure looks like that thing will hold some snow. The Western dealer won't even sell it to me because of liablilty issues due to front end weight ratings. Kind of pisses me off that I can't put that plow on my truck. I have a 3/4 ton truck, i figured it would handle any plow. A little off the subject, but what tires do you snow plow guys run? We get enough snow here and I frequent the lakes for fishing.
Thats BS cuase a Wideout weighs as much as the MVP. But I demoed one of them and a V will still do more than it will and stacks way more too. I wasnt a big fan of them. Plus for $1200 less you can buy a V and put wings on that and youll still move more than a wideout

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I have plowed since i was 15, always been in Single axle dumps until i went to college.
Then i threw a 7ft meyer on my s-10. Plowed a ton of driveways with it and some small lots through a company and some on my own. If you respect your truck and the snow you will be fine. If you try to be a hardass your going to break $hit. I went for three seasons on my s-10 with a plow too big for it and blew up my tranny (only because i had to do 98 driveways by myself with 18" of snow in them) and had just regular maintenance on steering and suspension parts. I babied her but made good money.
My dad has an 02 1500HD. Had a 7.5' meyer on it for the first 6 years and has a 8' all steel on it now. Has had no issues with his setup either, just regular steering and suspension maintenance that your going to do either way.
Smart plowing = money in the bank
Get-er-done mindset usually = money out of the bank
You can plow fast while plowing smart, just use your head.

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
Just go and buy it. Dot say what it's for. Thats what we have to do with our damn boss dealer. And then you save $700 on install!

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I run a 8' 6" SS fisher V plow on my truck since new and zero issues. Handles the plow like a dream. Don't go smaller than 8" foot cause then you'll just track through the unplowed snow when you turn.

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
^What he said! I have a 8'6 V, and a 7'6 straight. I use the straight when i'm subbing and get paid by the Hr, and the V when i'm doing my own accts.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
After using a V I never went back to straight blades. You can always use it as a straight blade. Plus you cant beat The Boss SmartHitch2:thumb. Most of my contracts have a 2'' minimum under that gets chemical/salt, so when Im pushing snow across parking lots and down long lanes it gets heavy. The V scoop comes in handy espically when you have small areas to stack the snow

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmm, well thanks for all the input guys!, definalty gonna look around for a plow now, gonna try and go with the V like your all saying... if you don't mind me asking what do you guys make a winter? I live in the very south west corner of Michigan so we dont get a crazy amount of snow and id prob just be doing alot of res drives by myself in spare time but id really like to pay off a ~$3000 plow in one winter? think that would be possible? haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts