Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like a 6 speed manual in my 03 GMC and my question is how hard would it be to swap out the allison for the 6 speed? does the ECU need to be changed and what modifications would need to be done to make it work?
Tom

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Let me look into this for you a bit. I think the ECM should be the same, maybe a reflash to program it as a stick. You have a transmission yet?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
EFi live should take care of everything as long as you could hook up the reverse switch and thetransfer case stuff using the same wiring harness, if not you would have to change the harness, other than that jus the clutch peddle assambley and a simple ecm reflash!!!

·
3,162 Posts
its tuning software that anyone can buy, PM diesel nut to see if he carrys it. If not i can hook ya up with a efi seller!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey i was just wondering why you would want to get rid of the best Auto Trans made and go with a manual?? not being rude or anything, i would just like to know your reason..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just not a fan of auto's because i will kill them and dont get me wrong i love allison but its an auto and i will kill it so i found an article on the manual it said that this is the same 6 speed that is run in the powerstroke is that accurate?

·
Registered
35 Posts
im just not a fan of auto's because i will kill them and dont get me wrong i love allison but its an auto and i will kill it so i found an article on the manual it said that this is the same 6 speed that is run in the powerstroke is that accurate?
they have the same shift pattern. im not sure about ratios as such. the shift towers are different along the shifter itself. im pretty sure the bellhousing is different between the two as well. in other words, dont look for a powerstoke zf to swap into the dmax...

·
3,162 Posts
The ratios are dang near the same between the two, and the front half of the case is different, The front half of the case includes the bellhousing and the shifter tower, also the ford has a internal oil pump and two cooler line fitting on the side of the front half!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i want to do a swap once the auto goes in mine as well; its gonna quit soon enough. I grew up on a 6 speed powerstroke and loved it. kind of a nostalgic type thing more than performance. when did the allison come into being for the duramax in the 25/3500 series?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Swap

i would like a 6 speed manual in my 03 GMC and my question is how hard would it be to swap out the allison for the 6 speed? does the ECU need to be changed and what modifications would need to be done to make it work?
Tom
I was thinking i would like to get a auto? I have a 6 speed . Its a 2003 gmc. It has the double clutch plates. Stock clutch was shit. There is only 72000 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
when did the allison come into being for the duramax in the 25/3500 series?
It is the only auto that has ever been hooked to the Dmax "trucks". The vans got the 4l80e behind them.

I have been told by numerous people, that I should have got the 06 and up, as then it would have the Allison. Most people think that because the 01-05's do not have a Allison badge on the door that they did not have the Allison trans matted to the Dmax.:rolleyes:

They seem to think we have the 4l80e, and then I ask them, since when did the 4l80e came in a 5speed version:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
For less money than you would probably spend on a complete transmission swap, you could build your allison to hold anything you can throw at it. Then there's no need for the manual. Plus you'll need something stronger than the stock clutch if you're going to put much power through it...

·
needing more money
314 Posts
I've looked at parts to do the swap and for the price of a tranny, double disk clutch and all the wires and extra's it comes to well over 4k. Just as gr8shot said it cost more to swap hence why i don't have a zf6. And that 4k is with me getting the zf for 800 bucks! I still think they should offer one for those that want one but i also think we should have solid front axles haha...

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
It is the only auto that has ever been hooked to the Dmax "trucks". The vans got the 4l80e behind them.

I have been told by numerous people, that I should have got the 06 and up, as then it would have the Allison. Most people think that because the 01-05's do not have a Allison badge on the door that they did not have the Allison trans matted to the Dmax.:rolleyes:

They seem to think we have the 4l80e, and then I ask them, since when did the 4l80e came in a 5speed version:rolleyes:

Mine is an '03 and I have an Allison badge on the door.

Allison is behind every Dmax made with an auto, and every 8.1L gas engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did an auto to 5spd swap in my cummins and all I can say is research research research... Check and double check everything and it should go very smooth, I hit a few snags but it all came together in the end...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rich3317, you have a PM.

I do have what might be a simple question, as someone also looking to do this swap, I have yet to see ANY ZF6 equipped truck that came with an 'on the fly' transfer case. If you swap to a manual and have the push button 4wd, do you just need to have the transmission in neutral/clutch down? Or do the actuators for the on the fly shift interfere/clearance issues with the ZF6 case in some way?

As for all the "why would you do this!?" nay-sayers.....I would suggest that you think back to anyone that ever asked you "why would you get a diesel?" .... then remember all of their reasons for why YOU were making a MISTAKE (cheaper, easier to maint., gas is cheaper, faster, quieter, better, etc, etc)..... I think I can safely say those on this forum tend to prefer diesels, and justify it in their own ways (stronger, longevity, resale, torque monsters, mpg, towing, black smoke!).....those of us that prefer 'handshakers' are in the same boat.....liking diesels and stickshifts makes for ALOT of people always telling you that you are 'wrong'

Both camps tend to make VERY good arguments for their preferred method of shifting, either you rebuild a tranny with a stage 4 kit for $4k, or you throw $3k at a triple disc. Either way these things are stout and good choices........now, I will hobble off my soap box, and hope that someone has some input to my transfer case question.

I have been told by those that did the swap that an EFI reflash is all that is needed, I have also been told that it is easier to swap the harnesses over, rather than cut and splice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts