Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been putting off hooking up my fuel pressure gauge since I hooked up my AirDog. I did it last night, thought I had everything hooked up right but the gauge is still reading 0. I was just going to tear everything back apart and do it again when I got off work but I just had a thought. I didn't delete my stock fuel filter housing yet. So would this cause the fuel pressure to still be a vacuum until I delete it? Kinda of out there idea but I have no clue. My gauge is tapped into the top of the AirDog. Someone entertain my ideas!! :cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking about it more Im pretty sure Im wrong. Lunch bump

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dang was hoping to be of service... Lol I have only installed fuel rail pressure gauges on my Duramax's but never just a regular pressure gauge... Hopefully someone will chime in with better knowledge then me on this... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate it man. I guess one way to find out is to delete the housing tonight and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving me nuts at work. Bump

·
Registered
350 Posts
What type of fuel pressure gauge did u install? I'm installing one as well but i went with a oil pressure gauge setup due to diesel fuel being thicker then gas. But i still have my factory fuel filter head installed and with a screw in fuel pressure gauge installed in the factory bleed screw i'm showing 10 psi. I Can't remember when i installed my air dog but could there be 2 ports one on the suction side and one on the output side? If u have the sender installed on the suction side it wouldn't show pressure.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an Autometer. I can't install the oil pressure port set up because the port in the AirDog will only accept the fuel one. I believe there is only one on the pump but ill check that when I get off too. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
you should be tapped into the port thats right on top of the AirDog, or with the correct adapter into your fuel filter housing. Having the factory fuel filter housing will not make any difference pressure wise.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK man. I guess I gotta just rewire it again not sure why it's not reading.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also alot of those fuel pressure sensors don't start reading till u have 10 psi or greater pressure i believe that was another reason why i went with the oil pressure setup cause they read from 0 psi on up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cobalt Electronic fuel pressure

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also alot of those fuel pressure sensors don't start reading till u have 10 psi or greater pressure i believe that was another reason why i went with the oil pressure setup cause they read from 0 psi on up.
Not sure about that one. The sending unit says 0-30 psi on it so it should read

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,283 Posts
0 to what PSI, Mechanical or Electrical Sending unit? Sorry if I ask a ton of questions but the simplest way to verify if the gauge is toast(Sending unit type) is to ground it out, otherwise the sending unit is bad.
I see you answered that already ground the gauge out and see if it sweeps...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If you hook up a gauge on the factory fuel filter housing (where the bleeder screw is), how would you get the air out when you do filter changes? How would you bleed the system if you have a gauge instead of the screw?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Im glad to get some help because Im sure its all hooked up right so Im lost. It's electronic, threaded into the airdog with a connector on the end of the sending unit, connector from the gauge plugs into it. 0 to 30 psi

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,283 Posts
To answer the guy above you , Add a T to the bleeder port, Red to Ignition source white to the dash light control and black to ground. the harness to the gauge to sending unit is one piece so An issue could be there, or if you put Teflon tape on the sending unit or Dope, you could of blocked the opening? The pointer will move backward to the stop pin and then move to the zero box when you turn on the ignition, then the gauge is fine. Look for a chafe in the harness or return it for another unit. If you have access to a Meter you can ohm out the harness and the Sending unit. But you paid good money so if all the above check out, i'd personally get it replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts