Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have about 3500 mi on our new LML. Since new, it has sounded as though the auxiliary fan was engaging at idle at what seem to be random intervals. The fan will stay on through the first couple gears after a complete stop at signals/stop signs then sounds like it turns itself off. Some days it never comes on at all.

It may not be the aux fan, but having had a '96 Tahoe, '00 Tahoe, '04 Yukon and now this truck, the sound is identical to the old aux fan that would come on in very hot weather.

I live in San Diego and we have yet to see 90 here this summer so from my past experiences it should not be on. Is this normal for the Duramax or is anyone else hearing similar sounds? Does the aux fan run during regen?

Likely unrelated, but my aspirator (interior cabin air temp sensor) is also failing/failed.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Normal fan operation for a Duramax.

·
Registered
609 Posts
seems normal, but if it starts doing it when it gets cooler outside or isnt warmed up you might have a fan clutch issue. mine was replaced on my LML last month on trip number 5 in 2 weeks to the dealer. You couldnt pay me enough to personally buy one of the new LML's

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
seems normal, but if it starts doing it when it gets cooler outside or isnt warmed up you might have a fan clutch issue. mine was replaced on my LML last month on trip number 5 in 2 weeks to the dealer. You couldnt pay me enough to personally buy one of the new LML's
Well that sucks, my LML has been the best diesel i have had so far. What issues are you having with the work truck?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hearing the noise when the truck starts 'cold' (60-70 degrees outside). I need to get it in to the dealership for the aspirator anyway, perhaps I'll ask about it then.

Timharry, what issues were you seeing that indicated bad fan clutch?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm hearing the noise when the truck starts 'cold' (60-70 degrees outside). I need to get it in to the dealership for the aspirator anyway, perhaps I'll ask about it then.

Timharry, what issues were you seeing that indicated bad fan clutch?
Fan will come on during cold start up, and cycle on and off during warm up, this is normal for Dmax.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Dear mhab12,

I have read your post about your situation with your new truck. I have also read through the thread and see that other members of the forum have provided you with valuable information.

Please, keep in mind that if there ever comes a time that you feel concerned about something with your truck, don't hesitate to get the vehicle into the dealership for diagnosis. By doing this it will also allow you to have the concerns documented within the system and the personnel will be able to provide you with specific warranty information about your particular situation. This is just food for thought.

Sincerely,
Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
524 Posts
My 2005 acts the very same way. Even in the dead of winter on a cold start the fan cycles on and off and from what I understand this does assist in warming up the engine as it makes it work just a bit more. The thermostats are closed anyways then so its only pulling cold air through a cold radiator. Pulling my trailer when she cuts in she does roar quite loud and then cycles off...This is normal

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
For your information, the 2011 LML fan is electrically controlled-- not like the fluid models that GM has used for 40 years.

Probably normal operation-- have it checked at the dealer.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Mine makes the same sound also, and does the same thing every morning which would lead me to believe its normal. I love my LML...converted me from a Ford powerstroke guy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dad's new 2011 does this also. My 06 doesn't. It'll sound like that if coolant temp gets around 220* pulling a steep grade or cold start. Fan clutch seems to engage even when you're at a stop sign, or you shut it off then fire it and run it again. Quickly goes away, but still more sensitive than it needs to be in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought an '11 2500 HD over the weekend. It's garage kept at night. The last two morning I went out to start it there was a whoosh as you describe before I was to the end of the block. It only lasted 10 to 15 seconds then went away. I suspect it is normal, but yes, it does sound like a cooling fan. Morning air temps have been in the upper 80's here.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Almost seems to be RPM based. It will run until I take off and then quiet down.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Dear Cobalt_Blue,

I have read your post about the sound that you are experiencing with your new truck. If there is ever a time that you feel that this might be a concern, don't hesitate to get the vehicle into the dealership for diagnosis and warranty information.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Normal. Mine does it also.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
is it me or does anyone else feel "awkward" that a gm person is representing themselves on a forum of modification of their product? i can see if they do it with a normal name but i dunno, kinda get a wierd tingling feeling cuz it says GM. anyway, that sound has been around in all gm products since i can remember. if you have your back turned and hear that whooshing sound u can bet its a gm, gas or diesel.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
I think Michelle is open about her role on here and has helped several people with vehicle problems.

She is good to have as a member. It is no secret that people have been modifing their vehicles for years, and I don't think her position with GM is to shoot people down for doing that.

She could have come to this Forum under a user name, and no one would know, but she chose the GM name, so she can help improve the quality of the GM product. IMO

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
well put sir. if i came off bad didnt mean too either. was just expressing feeling :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts