Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Those of you that have tranfer/aux tanks in the bed; what size to you use? I want to avoid making any mistakes that any of you might have made by buying the wrong size/brand.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
what are you using it for? filling machines or you just want extra fuel hanging around for the "what if"s?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pull a 29 foot toy hauler year round and drive 4-8 hours each way when hunting and fishing year round. Besides, It can't hurt to have enough for those 'what if's' :)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Dad has bought a few 150 gallon tanks for filling the dozers etc. It's sort of a "you get what you pay for" kinda deal. We got ours from tractor supply(on the cheaper side) and they last for a few years. We've tried manual pumps and electric and they both give out over time. Which is to be expected since they're in the elements 24/7. If you maybe bought one out of a Gemplers magazine or something then you might be able to find something of a better quality. We just always go into the purchases thinking "it won't last forever" lol

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
ah can't help you there. All of ours were giants that sat way above the top of the bed

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I have a 52 gallon Titan Tank, it replaces the factory tank and doesn't take up any room in the bed.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I put a 100gal tank in the bed piped it into the fuel filler, now I can run 1500 miles towing and 2100 miles empty, I get jet fuel from work and I mix it with off road 50/50 cost me around 160 dollars for a fill up and it will last around 2 months

·
Registered
211 Posts
we went through this. looked at the cost of auxilliary tanks. we finally decided that for the 1100 or so that it would cost for a Titan tank, just to gain an extra 25 gallons, that i could spend 60 to 80 and buy 5 or 6 extra 5 gal fuel cans and put up with the inconvenience of refueling a little more often and/or having to fill from a can just in case.

the $1000.00 I didn't spend went for other extra goodies for the truck and such.

in my opinion, and opinions are like, well you know, and everyone has one, that using the 1000.00 for something else is of greater benefit. plus, you have a toy hauler, hauling diesel (I assume you have a diesel, I know shouldn't assume) in the toy hauler isn't like hauling gasoline inside your trailer. I have never smelled any fumes inside the truck cap.

there were a couple places in the far NW corner of Nebraska where I was starting to sweat that a fuel stop would show up. after that, anytime we are in BFE I make sure I have at least 25 gals extra with me.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
we went through this. looked at the cost of auxilliary tanks. we finally decided that for the 1100 or so that it would cost for a Titan tank, just to gain an extra 25 gallons, that i could spend 60 to 80 and buy 5 or 6 extra 5 gal fuel cans and put up with the inconvenience of refueling a little more often and/or having to fill from a can just in case.

the $1000.00 I didn't spend went for other extra goodies for the truck and such.

in my opinion, and opinions are like, well you know, and everyone has one, that using the 1000.00 for something else is of greater benefit. plus, you have a toy hauler, hauling diesel (I assume you have a diesel, I know shouldn't assume) in the toy hauler isn't like hauling gasoline inside your trailer. I have never smelled any fumes inside the truck cap.

there were a couple places in the far NW corner of Nebraska where I was starting to sweat that a fuel stop would show up. after that, anytime we are in BFE I make sure I have at least 25 gals extra with me.
Time and the ability to plan fuel stops to save money justified it for me.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
my tank cost 150.00 from a hardware store that had a bunch they wanted to get rid of reg price was 580.00. sure I lost a lot of bed space buy i have a camper shell on and when we travel I can shop around for the best price, this summer we went on a 1500mile camping trip found diesel for 4.00 to 3.60 and you can bet I topped it off with the lower price, these same tanks sell at tractor supply

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I have the 64 gallon Aero tank-- [replaces the stock tank-long bed] and after you are over the sticker shock--

You don't have to buy fuel just where it is available [like a mom and pop store] which may be dirty fuel. Then $1,000 might just be a down payment on a set of injectors.

As mentioned, you can buy fuel cheaper.

You don't have the stress of having to squeeze the truck and trailer into stations as often.

Also you reserve fuel in an emergency.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I realize that everyone has their own justification and circumstances and income level. For us, I figured it out that if an underbody fuel tank (Titan) cost say 1154.00 plus tax from summit racing (which is 16 miles from me) so back off the difference and say 1100.00. then at a savings this year of say .40 per gallon take 1100.00 / .40 = 2750 gallons to pay for the 1100.00 fuel tank, assuming every gallon bought was .40 less than the median cost that I would have paid here at home for a baseline to start at. We would have had to drive 27500 to 30250 miles with the trailer behind us (@ 10 to 11 mpg). We drove to the Outer Banks from Ohio and back, roughly a little better than 1400 miles round trip for us and diesel didn't vary more than an nickle or so per gallon over this way. The biggest variation is in state taxes. So when the numbers are really run, in my opinion its solely convenience that a person is buying, which is the ability to go further between fuel stops because you have do a lot of driving and and continually finding cheap diesel to say that you saved money and/or driving the truck enough around the home turf that the tank is empty enough to take advantage of price fluctuations. I decided that heavier sway bars front and back, top of the line shocks, auxilliary fuel filters and such were more important to me, than having to stop less times for fuel.

And it is not just mom and pop shops that sell you garbage fuel. We topped out tank at a large national name truck stop going southbound every thing was fine. Stopped at the same place on our return trip a week later and got a load of dirty fuel that plugged the fuel filters.

everyone has reasons and opinions both for and against. so either you buy one or not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm looking into a tank / toolbox combo and plumb it into the fuel filler neck with a manual valve. Search Northern Tool + Equipment, type in "tank tool combo" and it pulls up two pages. Capacity ranges from 40 - 90 gallons and most are less than 24 inches tall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you plumb into the neck is it possible to leave the factory cap tightened and fill only the tank in the box? I know I should have a manual valve for maint.,ec., but during the cold months it would be nice to have it function like one large tank and have the total fuel volume available.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you plumb into the neck is it possible to leave the factory cap tightened and fill only the tank in the box? I know I should have a manual valve for maint.,ec., but during the cold months it would be nice to have it function like one large tank and have the total fuel volume available.
I have a 60 gallon rds toolbox/tank combo. I fill the tank first and then fill up the tank in bed. Works great!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was coming down Kansas last spring towing my home. Driving directly into a wall of wind. It was so strong, when you got out of truck, couldn't stay up straight. My truck wouldn't even go in 5th, boost running about 12. I wished I had a larger tank. Fuel light was on when the next station came up. If you travel a lot you will sooner or later regret not getting a larger tank or extra tank.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I usually turn it on at rest stops and it takes around 20min to fill (3/8 fill line to filler) it goes up to the cap and stops the DIC counts milage up and the gauge indicates full, I leave tank valve open till the next rest stop. btw I bought all my stuff at a hardware store fittings ,valve ,bung, everything for around 15 dollars

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have priced a 60 gallon replacement tank from Transfer Flow - about $1750 incl freight, installation, etc. I'm about to pull the trigger, but I want to get some feedback on (1) what happens with the fuel gauge, readings, etc. still not comfortable with that. And (2) the replacement tank is about 1" lower than the frame - I want to be sure there's no chance of getting the tank damaged (for example) when someone servicing it crushes it with a frame lift. Does anyone have exp with the new 60 gal replace tank from Transferflow?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts