Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search for these answers and gave up, so forgive any repeat questions. I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500. installed a DeeZee 40 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and DeeZee installation kit. I had the “roll over” valve (as they call it) horizontal at first and when I took stock tank gas cap off fuel came out. Shut off tank block valve, ran fuel below fill neck and turned adapter so roll over valve was vertical and on top of “T”. Opened valve to tank, drove it for about 10 minutes, got back home and took stock fuel cap off. Still overflowed. Is this normal? Also my fuel gauge went to “E” and check engine light came on. Had p0461 error code because gauge wasn’t moving. Is there a fix for that or keep tank valve closed until main tank is almost empty?
74348D08-5D26-42C7-B5C1-79741BAE372D.jpeg
74348D08-5D26-42C7-B5C1-79741BAE372D.jpeg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like you are gravity feeding so don't open the cap when it is full. I have a aux tank but I use a small pump with a normally closed solenoid and I have never had the code pop up but I do wait until the main tank is about 1/2 empty before I start to transfer and I shut it off when it gets 3/4 or 7/8 full. Also from your pics it doesn't look like you used a bulkhead connector to pass the fuel line through the box - be careful you don't wear a hole in the line.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, gravity feed. I’m thinking of installing a 12V electric block valve with a switch in the cab. I thought about just using the manual block valve. I was thinking how hard could it be to get out on one of my stops to open it (while towing 5th wheel on a long trip). But what if it’s raining really hard or some other inclement weather condition I don’t want to deal with? It’s also been suggested to leave the valve open, gauge goes to E (and check engine light comes on) then when auxiliary tank gets empty and main tank level starts dropping gauge starts working again. I’m guessing check engine light would stay on until it was reset though. Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I took that valve off of mine I couldn't get any fuel in with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am reading where if you use a 12 V solenoid fuel valve that when the power off is normally closed and with power on it’s open, the valve heats up fairly quickly. You can’t just drive for hundreds of miles leaving the power to the solenoid till the valve is open, it just overheats. So unless I can find one that doesn’t get hot that’s not a possibility either.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine works fine - it is not on for hundreds of miles though. These valves were used on vehicles with dual tanks to switch the tank that feeds the engine - pretty sure they do have them on for hundreds of miles

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
523 Posts
Yes, you are “overfilling” from the reserve. A “manual” valve is best, IMO. It will probably never fail for hundreds of cycles.

A “transfer pump” could be solution..https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Or this..

rig it to gravity feed into main tank when you notice the tank getting low.

keep plenty fuel in main tank.. it helps cool the pump..

·
Premium Member
2013 GMC Denali 2500 CCSB 4x4
109 Posts
I don’t know what kind of solenoid valves the truck world uses, but if you want something that will do 100% duty cycle with no problem, get one meant for industrial use. I’ve seen Asco and Skinner solenoid valves run energized in chemical plants for months at a time. They aren’t cheap but you won’t have to worry about leaving it powered open for a few hours straight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, gravity feed. I’m thinking of installing a 12V electric block valve with a switch in the cab. I thought about just using the manual block valve. I was thinking how hard could it be to get out on one of my stops to open it (while towing 5th wheel on a long trip). But what if it’s raining really hard or some other inclement weather condition I don’t want to deal with? It’s also been suggested to leave the valve open, gauge goes to E (and check engine light comes on) then when auxiliary tank gets empty and main tank level starts dropping gauge starts working again. I’m guessing check engine light would stay on until it was reset though. Decisions, decisions!
takes about 5 on/off with key then will clear itself
my 11 and 15 wouldn't set unless driving for about 2 hours straight. My 18 will set after about 20 minutes ;(

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
247 Posts
Or this..

rig it to gravity feed into main tank when you notice the tank getting low.

keep plenty fuel in main tank.. it helps cool the pump..
I'll see if this is what my buddy needs for his truck. We're installing an aux tank after we finished installing the suspension and kmc wheels on the current Silverado project. He's been looking for a better solenoid valve.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
See my Build thread here many other guys here have done the same thing. A few pages in I installed the Aux tank price went up on the valve I paid $26. I Am also installing a gauge and sending unit

·
Registered
523 Posts
See my Build thread here many other guys here have done the same thing. A few pages in I installed the Aux tank price went up on the valve I paid $26. I Am also installing a gauge and sending unit

i think the OP has the six tank backfeeding the primary tank. So, this valve you used would choose which tank supplies the fuel pump.

my solution controls flow from AUX to primary.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
i think the OP has the six tank backfeeding the primary tank. So, this valve you used would choose which tank supplies the fuel pump.

my solution controls flow from AUX to primary.
I am only using one inlet and that is from the Aux tank through the valve to the Primary. The normally open port I have blocked off. Also, my pump is a non siphon so when it and valve shut off I don't have to worry about overfilling the via gravity if the valve were to fail.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am only using one inlet and that is from the Aux tank through the valve to the Primary. The normally open port I have blocked off. Also, my pump is a non siphon so when it and valve shut off I don't have to worry about overfilling the via gravity if the valve were to fail.
Awesomeness!!! Always good to learn new stuff… ok, it is always good to learn good stuff. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts