Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install an auxiliary fuel tank ( not a transfer tank) in my 06 Chevy 6.5' bed pickup
with a fifth wheel hitch. Some tank manufacturers supply an installation kit that ties into the supply and return lines. They have a 6 port switching valve and they also provide for fuel gauge readings for each tank using the dash board gauge. This system seems to be the best and safest, but it also means cutting into the existing fuel lines.
Other manufacturers use a gravity feed system that keeps the OEM tank full. The gravity line has a check valve to prevent overflowing the OEM tank, and is piped into the fill line.

Does anyone have any experience with these tanks. Your help is appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aux fuel tank

I've hunted the internet for tanks there are a few. A local truck accessories shop reccommended a tank built by RDS. They are a large tank manufacturer especially for the boating industry. They supply tanks to Northern tool and they recommend just using the gravity feed. I spoke with them on the phone and they told me that they have sold "thousands of them".
Transferflow (www.transferflow.com), who make replacement tanks and who advertise in all of the truck and RV magazines, say that gravity feed is not DOT approved and is in fact illegal.
American Tank (www.auxtank.com) makes a tank very similar to RDS, but they also do not use gravity feed. Their tank comes with an installation kit and instructions where you tie into the supply and return lines. They anf Transferflow are a lot more money. The installation kit from Transferflow is $285. The tank built by RDS and sold by Northen tool is $550.
I'm looking at the Tool box/Tank combo.
I can probably install it myself, but when you get to be 65+ you just don't want to bother. Did I help at all?????

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Good info,:)

I dont know much on this topic myself but i do know the transferflow tank is widly used and highly recomended by the duramax truck crowd!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aux fuel tank

There is no doubt that Transferflow makes great tanks, it's just that they are also the most expensive.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aux fuel tank

They use the gravity feed. Are there any problems?
I ordered an RDS yesterday with their install kit. 51 gal toolbox/tank combo

·
Registered
13 Posts
dandy They use the gravity feed. Are there any problems?
I ordered an RDS yesterday with their install kit. 51 gal toolbox/tank combo up with it.

I bought the kit,but never hooked it up.I needed a pump also,so I just fill up with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
would like to bump this back into action--did anyone go ahead with any of these tanks? any problems? or suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow talk about bringing a thread back from the past, oh I guess a member as well :D

I put the RDS 60 gallon toolbox combo in a couple of months ago and love it.

I use it as a gravity feed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been there Done that works great

I have an 06 extended cab lbz and I replaced the main 26 gal tank with a 45 gal one from extreme diesel and I also have the RDS 60 gal/9 inch deep tool box combo in the bed. The bed tank is plumbed in with the northern tools setup. Gravity feed to the fill line with a check valve so when the main tank is full flow stops. The only problem I've had is when the main tank is full the fuel gage sometimes drops to empty untill I either stop and restart or the level drops down from completly full.:gearjamin

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would recommend going with a Titan replacement tank. Available from 43-55 gallons depending on truck type, and you don't give up valuable bed space. Let me know if anyone needs some more info!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've hunted the internet for tanks there are a few. A local truck accessories shop reccommended a tank built by RDS. They are a large tank manufacturer especially for the boating industry. They supply tanks to Northern tool and they recommend just using the gravity feed. I spoke with them on the phone and they told me that they have sold "thousands of them".
Transferflow (www.transferflow.com), who make replacement tanks and who advertise in all of the truck and RV magazines, say that gravity feed is not DOT approved and is in fact illegal.
American Tank (www.auxtank.com) makes a tank very similar to RDS, but they also do not use gravity feed. Their tank comes with an installation kit and instructions where you tie into the supply and return lines. They anf Transferflow are a lot more money. The installation kit from Transferflow is $285. The tank built by RDS and sold by Northen tool is $550.
I'm looking at the Tool box/Tank combo.
I can probably install it myself, but when you get to be 65+ you just don't want to bother. Did I help at all?????
Gravity feed is illegal and not DOT approved.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Gravity feed is illegal and not DOT approved.
Only if you don't get caught:D! I don't know about where you're from, but in OK, DOT doesn't ever mess with pickups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks for the info-been lookin at transfer flows new tank tool box combo-looks good, but at $890 plus shipping from cali to ohio it will be over a grand easy-just looking at my opptions as what all i can do

·
Registered
441 Posts
I called a vendor today that is listed on the transferflow website in my area to ask them about costs. It appears that transferflow will not allow the vendor to mark up prices on there tanks. So the vendor has the customer order directly from transferflow and only charges $250 for installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Other midship fuel tanks?

Is there anything else out there other than Titan and Transferflow for a midship tank?
What are your thoughts on the Transferflow steel tank vs Titans poly tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 37 gal. tank with gravity feed. Having a problem with the fuel guage. It appears when you fill the stock tank the trip calculator assigns a "range" that you should cover on the that fill up. I guess since it allows for only a 26 gallon tank so when it completes its projected range the fuel guage goes to empty and the low fuel light flashes even though the main tank is still full and being fed from the auxilliary tank. Anyone have that problem? Any fix?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts