Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reson in the snow and on the ice mostly at lower speeds and mostly in reverse if my tires start to burn out i will get horrible axle hop and i have to let off, but if im just like idling out of the driveway i am fine. whats up?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
1000 lb of sandbags in the back will fix it haha. no its normal, just no weight in the back you know

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
conventional traction bas will stop it from happening if it bothers you that bad....

just don't get caltracs the wont work in reverse lol

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Could be the locker too... Cut two 2x10's and put them in the slots in front and rear of your wheel wells in the bed. Fill them with 40lb bags of sand. Keep them in the bags. I wrap them in shrink wrap to protect the bag. I put 10 bags (400lbs) in there during the winter and rarely do I slip in the snow.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Could be the locker too... Cut two 2x10's and put them in the slots in front and rear of your wheel wells in the bed. Fill them with 40lb bags of sand. Keep them in the bags. I wrap them in shrink wrap to protect the bag. I put 10 bags (400lbs) in there during the winter and rarely do I slip in the snow.
yea but adding weight in low traction conditions is somewhat crazy/pointless....yea it may help you plow some snow but when you're out driving your stopping distance and high speed maneuvering abilities are shot to chit

·
1,776 Posts
I run in tow/haul mode in the snow. I hardly need to use the brakes. You've got to consider that our trucks weigh about 7000lbs and probably 5000 of that is in the front half. It makes for awkward driving in the snow. 400lbs is enough to add traction without being able to tell the difference in braking. I can't tell the difference in braking when I have my 3500lb boat behind me... let alone 400lbs. When you're off-roading... different story. In the snow... you're not gonna bury the truck in the snow any deeper than the pavement.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Some simple spring clamps can help some with the axle hop, and they're pretty cheap.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I run in tow/haul mode in the snow. I hardly need to use the brakes. You've got to consider that our trucks weigh about 7000lbs and probably 5000 of that is in the front half. It makes for awkward driving in the snow. 400lbs is enough to add traction without being able to tell the difference in braking. I can't tell the difference in braking when I have my 3500lb boat behind me... let alone 400lbs. When you're off-roading... different story. In the snow... you're not gonna bury the truck in the snow any deeper than the pavement.
:rof:rof:rof dude its not worth the argument ok you win

Some simple spring clamps can help some with the axle hop, and they're pretty cheap.
they dont work in reverse jesse...unless you clamp the back too

·
1,776 Posts
:rof:rof:rof dude its not worth the argument ok you win
I wasn't arguing with you bro. :drink

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you're still retarded."

LMAO :rof:rof:rof

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
eh yeah, not in reverse I guess. I didn't read close enough :rof

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Does anyone sell the spring clamps or do you have to go to tractor supply and make your own?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
eh yeah, not in reverse I guess. I didn't read close enough :rof
lol i figured that:rof

Does anyone sell the spring clamps or do you have to go to tractor supply and make your own?
rob does but they're like 40 bucks...way too much for some U bolts if you ask me. they're easy enough to make yourself thats what i did before i got caltracs

·
Registered
622 Posts
i picked up a set of clams at pep boys for 10 bucks it was two u bolts a plate to go arcross nuts and lock washers you would need 2 sets to do front and back on both sides

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
i picked up a set of clams at pep boys for 10 bucks it was two u bolts a plate to go arcross nuts and lock washers you would need 2 sets to do front and back on both sides

You only need to do the front

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
i put 400lbs sand in the bed too. never had an issue. used the same bags 3 yrs running now. it handles and breaks fine.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The new 2011s with the boxed frame has all but ended wheele hop,the worst thing a duramax does.Ill bet ford wished that was their worst problem.

·
1,776 Posts
i put 400lbs sand in the bed too. never had an issue. used the same bags 3 yrs running now. it handles and breaks fine.
Yes. These trucks are designed to be work-horses. They aren't happy empty. Especially considering it has a working payload of 3,964lbs. 400 helps hold the rubber to the asphalt without any noticeable changes. I can barely tell that my dump trailer is behind me with it loaded with gravel. I've got a gooseneck that I know is back there though... LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts