Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the B&W Turnover ball this weekend. Installation was very straight forward. A little unnerving drilling a 4" hole in the bed of the truck but everything aligned perfectly when bolted up. Kudos to B&W for making a quality product.

I installed it by myself and the only difficult part was that I didn't have a winching the tool that holds it against the bottom of the bed securely ( I used a ratchet strap to hold it ) so initially lining it up was a bit of a pain but went quickly after that. Taking my time I installed this and the Curt 7 way plug kit in about 5 hours. I saved roughly $400 for install/labor that I was quoted for. Saving up for the Companion slider next!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Very tight install. I have been running the same setup for years. Love it.

B&W also makes a stout offset ball I use because I have a truck box against the cab. It offsets the ball 4” and is welded 3/4” plate.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Been pulling 5th wheels for over 10 years now and haven't broken the turnover or my Companion hitch. Haven't ever dropped the trailer either..... B&W is good 'merican stuff!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will be my first 5th wheel set up I have ever towed on. Very much looking forward to it. Supposedly with the newer 5'rs nose caps being designed in a manner that allows tighter turning for CCSB trucks I guess I don't really require a slider. However, I prefer the piece of mind knowing I have it if I need it.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Installed one 3 month ago. Very straightforward install. Going to get the trailer light hookup next. Love the turn over. Been pulling 16k of trailer and gravel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This will be my first 5th wheel set up I have ever towed on. Very much looking forward to it. Supposedly with the newer 5'rs nose caps being designed in a manner that allows tighter turning for CCSB trucks I guess I don't really require a slider. However, I prefer the piece of mind knowing I have it if I need it.
This is true, but you still have to ensure your pin box doesn't contact the bed rails when turning sharp. Not familiar with the companion hitch so don't know if it's height adjustable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is true, but you still have to ensure your pin box doesn't contact the bed rails when turning sharp. Not familiar with the companion hitch so don't know if it's height adjustable.
I appreciate the warning, I will be sure to measure it out and set my height starting with the highest and working down till the trailer sits level. If I remember correctly the Hitch head has 3 adjustments 17"-19" but I could be wrong.

What I also find interesting is my Brother in law has a new 2019 - Powerstoke (3/4 Ton ) and completely stock from factory it sits a little higher than my truck with a 6" lift on 37"s.. I couldn't believe it! He got trailer prep from factory... So I would assume that Hitch/Vehicle manufactures are taking these dimensions into consideration and I shouldn't have a problem finding a proper Pin height that works.

Also, for anyone who is interested, there is a really great video here that goes over the hitch in detail. I am curious if others had the same issue he discusses from 1:50 - 4:45 about GM having a crown in the bed and it creating an issue with Hitches that don't seat flush in the rails. If I come across this issue I will more than likely Shim the rear rubber mounts for solid contact across the bed. Apparently, all GM vehicles have it and the Hitch manufactures know about it.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,284 Posts
This will be my first 5th wheel set up I have ever towed on.
Starting with the NBS in '08, GM raised the bed rail height by 6+ inches....which made the perfect tow rig higher than the standard GN/5er pin height in production for the previous 4 decades.

Being able to raise/lower the companion....has little to do with smashing the bed rails getting in to a fuel spot's driveway entrances.

Dumb, out of touch designers.
Ever since then, it's been a problem with fit....forget about running level on most RVs, unless you flip the axles, making an already tall building, taller....or run down the road nose high. :frown2:

Which works real well clearing trees accessing the perfect camp spot.:|

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Another reason I am destined to keep my "classic". I can tow perfectly level without having to manipulate anything. Towing level makes those "truck stop" overnights easy.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,284 Posts
In the same boat.
If I went newer, none of my trailers would fit.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Starting with the NBS in '08, GM raised the bed rail height by 6+ inches....which made the perfect tow rig higher than the standard GN/5er pin height in production for the previous 4 decades.

Being able to raise/lower the companion....has little to do with smashing the bed rails getting in to a fuel spot's driveway entrances.

Ever since then, it's been a problem with fit....forget about running level on most RVs, unless you flip the axles, making an already tall building, taller....or run down the road nose high. :frown2:

Gee wonder why raising my Reese helped out with clearing my bed rails'dunno;

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,284 Posts
apples oranges

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

In the same boat.
If I went newer, none of my trailers would fit.
Majority of guys pulling trailers here in AZ or CA are lifted and running a larger tire and tote around 40' 5ers. As far as flipping axles, I don't believe its necessary anymore ( at least on Toy Haulers, cant speak for Travel Trailers ). I will ask my buddy who sells RV's for a living if its still a thing people do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 that already had the B&W Turnover hitch installed. It doesn't have the two U Bolts for the safety chains installed in it, just the ball sticking up. How hard would it be to install the U Bolts?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,284 Posts
Shouldn't be difficult. You've already got the guides to drill (from bottom) the holes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2015 that already had the B&W Turnover hitch installed. It doesn't have the two U Bolts for the safety chains installed in it, just the ball sticking up. How hard would it be to install the U Bolts?
Very simple, as Hook'em said, there is two guide holes on the underside that you will drill out to 1/2". It is a little tight but its do-able. The kit came with the 1/2 U-Bolts supplied (and springs to help keep them down but it shouldn't be necessary) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool, that's what I thought. Haven't been able to climb underneath and inspect it. I go to work when its dark and get home when its dark. Other than hunting I don't like this time of the year.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
If you go to etrailer.com they sell the u bolts with the springs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What's this about raising/lowering the Companion? Mine didn't have height adjustments. I called B&W and asked about taller risers, no bueno.

Of course, I have the flatbed Companion base. Is the regular Companion base adjustable?

And to all the guys worried about newer trucks being too high for their 5er's.....get a flatbed, perfect for 5ers. My truck pulls them a little nose downhill. That's why I asked about higher hitch risers. When I back up to trailers that other trucks have dropped, I usually have to lower them down a couple inches to hitch up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts