Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Back Up Lights

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TexhomaDmaxx 
#1 ·
Ok guys NEWBIE here, Left Cummins and went to Duramax about 2 weeks ago. I have not regretted it yet:D Enough intro, I want to hook up after market back up lights to get a bigger spread but I want to use a switch inside the cab and use the fuse box for power, which fuse is available for this?

#2 ·
Welcome!! I'm gonna be doing the same thing. I'm going to go to the battery for power. With the right parts it's a clean install and definately no harm done to anything else. I say skip the fuses and go through the firewall.

#3 ·
I used the factory wiring in my last rig. In the trailer wiring, there is a large power cable and backup lights. With one of those aftermarket trailer wire harnesses that Tees into one of the factory connection, I added a relay and two utility lights under the rear bumper. They came on every time I put the car in reverse.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! :drink

You got 2 opitons. Id use the 7 pin for both. You could tap into the trailer power wire used for charging lights on the trailer. Then throw a relay in the cab with a switch. Or I grabed power off the center pin in the 7 pin which is the reverse light. Works great for me :rockin

#6 ·
You could use the switch for the bed light?? You have to upgrade the fuse for it, not sure which fuse it is on though. I'm sure someone will know.

That way you won't have to plumb too much wire or drill any holes.

#7 ·
Upgrading the fuse on a circuit to increase its load is not always a good idea. Kind of like trying to give a 1500 the hauling capacity of 3500 just by fitting bigger tires. Both will give you "some" increased load capacity but there other limitations.

#8 ·
I think youre best bet would be to run a seperate wire from the battery int othe truck and switch then go back to the lights.

Not sure of the best place to go through the fire wall though.

#9 ·
Option C: What I did was mount my lights (4 total: two-45 watt's on top of headache rack, two-55 watt's under bumber behind spring perch) grounded lights to frame, ran lead from headache rack straight down bed & tapped into green wire on truck harness (there are two greens, one for truck reverse, one for trailer reverse, pull trailer B/U fuse underhood to find truck reverse) did same for two under bumper tapping into harness about 18" away from plug. Also made live switch in cab with 20A fuse and 20A relay to turn them on anytime I want. Upgraded fuse underhood for Truck Reverse circut to 25A and have had 0 problems since day one.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/members/texhomadmaxx-albums-let-mods-begin-picture1057-load-lights-reverse-lights-august-08-they-all-come-either-when-reverse-selected-when-switch-thrown-any-time-works-great-tail-gating-loadin-race-car-backin-up-works-best-holes-driving-behind-you-their-brights.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.