Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

backup camera

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  vaughninms 
#1 ·
wear can a gut get a factory lookin backup camera for the tail gate for the new body chevies. without having to go to the dealer accept for having the programming done.thanks

#2 ·
I have no idea, but a bump to the top...

#9 ·
If you're looking to save some money, I bought a wireless one from Checker Auto Parts for around $70. Thought it might be kind of cheap, but it has a great picture and has never done me wrong.

#10 ·
What brand is it that you got?

#11 ·
Here's the one I have. Had it for a year now with no issues. Instead of using the cigarette lighter adapter, I hard wired it and ran the cable along the head liner and behind the dash. Looks clean. Also mounted the wireless receiver under the bed rail, so it's not seen either :D

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto

#12 ·
Is the camera adjustable? Say, to angle down at the hitch to make it easier to back up to a trailer?

#16 ·
So, the camera does not adjust up and down, just has a side-angle adjustment. I think I may take an Expo marker and mark the hitch alignment if I sled pull this season :rof I'm not much of one for linin those puppies up on the first try, and the last thing I'd want to do at a sled pull is have to try more than once :D
Here's where I put it... Cheap camera, but I'm more than happy with it for the price :rockin

#13 ·
You will probably have to play with the mounting in order to get it where it will suit you best. I know there is a button on the monitor that adjusts it in someway, I just don't recall off the top of my head. I've never had to adjust it. If you are interested in it, I can check it out after work and let you know for sure.

#14 ·
I'd appreciate it...Thanks! and have a GREAT day!

#17 ·
K...Thanks for the info and pic!

#18 ·
I have the same camera system on mine. It mounts to the license plate bolts and shows the hitch receiver perfectly when backing. No more getting out to check how close you are! I can watch from inside and get the thing aligned perfectly. I got mine from a local auto parts store, around $90

#19 ·
Cool...Thanks...I usually get close, but, as you know, 2 inches off is a TON when it comes to lining up a hitch! I usually am by myself when I have to connect a trailer and it can be a pain, especially in the RAIN!!!!

#20 ·
My wife and I use to get into some good fights about backing. She would be back there directing me, and then WHAM! I would hit the reciever... or be about 6 inches off. I have it wired into the reverse lights, so that any time I am backing, it comes on. Real easy to install, and saves a lot of arguing when hooking up the camper!

#21 ·
Great! Do you perhaps have a picture of where/how you camera is mounted?

#22 ·
Here is a pic. It mounts to the top license plate bolts. You could probably mount it anywhere that you wanted, but this happened to be the best place for me. The viewing screen inside has a suction cup mount (that doesn't work!), but I keep mine in the center counsel and take it out when I need to back up to the trailer. We have one that I installed at work, that we mounted on top of the dash. Even though the mount looks too high to see the hitch, the camera is wide angle and shows everything.

Attachments

#23 ·
Thanks again! I'll be ordering this kit!

#27 ·
You were right...I got the camera installed in less than 30 minutes (because I'm a little anal). Looks great and works perfectly. A little time was spent getting the transciever mounted where the signal was clearer in the cab, but I can now back right up to any of my trailers without getting in and out a couple of times to get it just right. I love this unit. The unit is actually a great value for the price! :rockin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.