Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 05 GMC 2500 HD Duramax. Took the rig down the road the other day. Stopped, got back in and when it started, lots of black smoke and ran crappy. Almost like a flooded gas motor, no power at all. Any how, got it towed to the dealer. They say it is a bad EGR valve. The rig only has 18,000 miles on it. But a lot of idle time. I am up in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have an edge/juice, AFE-2 intake, and a 4" turbor back exhuast.

Dealer of course says that it is probably the programmer making it bad. Could this problem be from a bad EGR. The dealer disconnected the EGR and said to drive until the new one comes in. I have heard of ways around the EGR, but is that a good thing to do?
Dealer codes===P0101,P0401,P0404,P1229,AND P1244

Have no clues what these mean, but this is what is on the print out

Any help would be nice. This is the 3rd time in the garage. 2 times for Tranny relay/program problems. I would hate to have bought a $45,000 piece of crap.

Adrian .

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a 2007 classic and my service engine soon light was on at 5,000 miles, it was the egr valve. i do not have a programmer yet but one is on the way, it will be here next week. and my dealership the salesman, the service advisor, and the service tech knew that i had a programmer on my 2004.5 and told me that if any thing happened they would fix it with no questions asked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh? I need your garage!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
When's the last time you changed your fuel filter? How much you been idling up here in AK? We just a our truck at work (a ford) have some problems....thinking it was the cat getting clogged. Anyway, here are what your codes point to.

P0101-MAF sensor (this could be the crappy running part) try and clean it gently with electrical contact cleaner.
P0401-EGR flow insufficient
P0404-EGR open performance
P1229-Injector 3 output circuit
P1244-Injector 8 output circuit

I think there was a TSB for the injector harness chafing too...I can't find it right now. I would at least try to unplug the edge and see if it clears up. Did you take your truck to Aurora or the chevy dealer.....Aurora has never given me a problem. I bet that your MAF sensor is dirty causing other problems....You could also get an EGR blocker plate and a finger stick to fool the EGR. Let me know if I can help since I am up in the Fairbanks area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Egr???

I am at Eielson. You? I just changed to fuel filter last oil change. Maybe 2-3 months ago. i took it to Aurora. For some reason they wher being a little annouying about the whole thing. But I just wnat to get the thing fixed and go on. Pretty much just regular idleing, but I have been up North a couple of times and you sit around ideling alot there. I called Deisel Doc and they were the ones talking about the idling. I have no CAT so it can't be clogging. Aurora unplugged the EGR and told me to drive it until next week when they get the new part in. The dealer looked at all the coded and said there where no chaffing, EGR stuck at 23%, dealer says everything checks good except for the EGR. What do ya figure?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
the 101 401 404 codes are probally all from a bad egr valve! A open exhaust wont throw a 404 code to my knowledge. and a finger stick will not fix a 404 either, but none the less i recomend installing a finger stick and blocker after the dealer replaces the egr! the other two injector codes definetly sound like the injector harnes problem. like ob1 said there was a gm service bullitan on this, i'll see if i can hunt it up for ya!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best way to Go?

So in all, would it be a good idea to go with the stick and blocker plate to combat this problem in the future. just blocker plate, or both. Or should i just get the EGR disabled in the computer.

Thanks again for all the reply's

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The only way i'm aware to get the egr diabled in the ecm is with efi live! Other than that the blocker and stick will do just fine! If you have a bad egr the stick will not turn the light out though! I would take it to the dealer have them check the inj harness because of the codes and also check the egr because with a 404 code the valve is not working properly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Egr???

Ok I think I may go with the stick and blocker plate. I noticed the PPE Diesel also has a EGR blocker. Does anyone know much about this one. Is it comparable/better to the Kennedy diesel "stick". And does anyone know of away to either do a really clean install or make it able to be installed and able to be removed both cleanly?

Man there sure are a lot of options with the diesels!

thanks Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts