Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Cylinder 5 Glow Plug is not working on the truck. I'm no mechanic but I'm ambitious and inclined to do the work myself.
I don't have the specific fault code handy, but I will post it shortly. 2012 LML with 35,000 mi.

I will be researching the possible causes, and repairs in detail over the next few weeks, but I do have a couple questions to get me started...

Am I doing any harm by running the truck with a bad glow plug?
The truck starts and runs just fine. Although the remote start will not work, and I'm assuming the other glow plugs might not be working either.
For anyone who's replaced a glow plug can you tell me how many hours I might be looking at?

I see AC Delco Glow plugs being sold in sets of 4 on Amazon. Is it necessary to change out the whole side?
I've read "Amazon AC Delco" might not be the same as Dealer AC Delco parts so I'm inclined to buy a single from a dealer, if installing a single is an option.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
383 Posts
you can do 1 at a time and it's a breeze most times. I just dida #5, pull the wheel liner, spray a little penatrating oil, start let it warm up a bit and shut it down and swap it out. I grabbed an AC Delco right at the local parts store and was done in side 20 minutes back together. Now if you battling a lot of corrosion you may want to pick up the little nut for the electrode but I didn't need it

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dmarriner60.
The code is P0675. Not all that uncommon after doing a little search here. Should be doable for me.
I'm assuming the electrical connection needs to come off before removing the plug. How tricky is the connection?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my plan...
1. Remove tire
2. Remove inner fender liner
3. Spray plug with penetrant, let sit for 1 day.
4. Bring engine to operating temp & spray with penetrant again, let sit for 1 day
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for two more days <-- can you tell I'm a little nervous about breaking it?
6. carefully remove plug with 12mm 6-point deep socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet.
7. install new plug with high temp anti-seize compound.
8. clear code

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's my plan...
1. Remove tire
4. Bring engine to operating temp & spray with penetrant again, let sit for 1 day
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for two more days <-- can you tell I'm a little nervous about breaking it?

6. carefully remove plug with 12mm 6-point deep socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet.
8. clear code

Am I missing anything?
Easy 1 hour job. Just did #4. Bought from Amazon - same thing you get at the dealer. I bought new harness nuts, used one but didn't need it. 83K miles.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's my plan...
1. Remove tire
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for two more days 6. carefully remove plug with 12mm 6-point deep socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet.
8. clear code

Am I missing anything?
I would say that I a very safe and thorough plan. You will do fine, but I wouldn't bother pulled the tire either as with the liner removed it is very easy access. I was never with the electrode nut being the little post is small but it spun right off. I keep the truck nice but I drive the old girl all through Maine winters and figured it would rough but those wheel liners due a good job. it will be a breeze for you, and #5 is an easy access one

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts