Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new took me 20 mins to find out how to post lol!
I’ve got a 2004 lly duramax I just bought I’ve owned for less then 2 weeks! Test drove it twice no issues no leaks other then ac. Me and the lady decided to buy after everything cheeking out drove the beast home an hour away parked it got up in the morning the lady wanted to go give it a bath at the car wash. Once we got there I didn’t a cheek for leaks again. Coolant is leaking from the by pass tube off the coolant reservoir tank. Called up my buddy that’s a diesel tech Also went to school for 2 yrs to be a tech. He came out we looked over the truck he was also stumped. We cheeked the hose from the radiator to the thermostat it had some squash not a whole lot but he said that was normal when I cheeked it when I test drove it it was good and after I spotted the leak I got it home and tested it to and it was solid. Well after more looking we discovered the by pass hose was duck taped we both had no idea why other then may to stop it from leaking now the owner had never mentioned it and mind ya this is my first diesel so I didn’t what I learned off truck master and other YouTube pages of cheeking off the cheek list when I bought this truck he also said he installed a new water pump it dose look new we cheeked I have no milky oil or oil cap my reservoir tank is not terribly dis-colored it not horrible I don’t think but every time it gets up to temp after I’ve drove it 3 times to a shop it continues to puke out like maybe a cup or half a cup of coolant all over my passenger side tire everytime. Could this just be a bad reservoir an cap or thermostat or the worse a blow headgasket I’ve taken it to the shop and those (Chevy dealership) tried to get me for 15000$ to do head gaskets I told them to stick it where the sun don’t shine and left with my truck and they didn’t tell me anything other then there’s bubbling in the tank and they wasn’t sure if it’s head gasket or thermostat they wouldn’t know unless they tore in to the motor. Lol help me out yall Im lost

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
Well first on the list would be to fix the leaky hose. Do whatever it takes to fix it. Then see if dripping continues. Also i would change thermostats with OEM ones just to rule that out. Not a big job to change them. If there are actual bubbles visible in the coolant reservoir there is a good chance the gaskets are blown. The LLYs are notorious for it in factory form.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts