Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any help. 2004 2500HD 4x4 Diesel Vin1 (Lb7).

Initially noted that truck would "bog down" if accelerator was applied quickly as if entering the highway/passing/etc. Truck would stop accelerating at around 50mph and start skipping...if accelerator was eased off and reapplied easily..truck would accelerate fine...My first thoughts went towards trash in the filter, etc.

Well, a week later and all within one 60 or mile trip...things quickly progressed. After sitting a while truck will crank and idle fine and can be revved up as high as you want. Once you start moving it will quickly start bogging down and skipping on the slightest incline and not rev over 2000. Eventually truck will stall and not even stay running on flat surface. Almost had to get towed home..eventually cranked and able to limp home at a max of 25pmh. Since then...same thing continues as described (so she's been parked).

Changed the fuel filter, pulled the water in fuel sensor and cleaned that. No codes...so thinking that would rule out the fuel pressure regulator. Starting to lean towards the fuel injection pump (based on how acceleration/rev starts the issues). Did have some white smoke when she was maxxing out at 2000rpms and 25mph...but none at idle and none when under acceleration before she boggs down. Have access to AllData and wanted to track this down myself...I have a MityVac but cant get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge that works on the Chevy quick connect access port... (all of my local contacts / mom and pop deisel shops dont have the chevy gauge)

So, I cant do a full trouble shoot and was trying to avoid having a shop (especially a dealership) do the work.....So what do ya'll think..Injection Pump or something else...would like to be sure before I pull the trigger as the pump runs $700+ for a reman with warranty.

Thanks again for any advice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Possibly the FPRV. I know I had a similar issue except mine never progressed any further than the just could not go over 2000 rpm's without it stumbling. Tested the FPRV last night and it is definitely weak and dumping fuel back in the tank instead of in the fuel rail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly the FPRV. I know I had a similar issue except mine never progressed any further than the just could not go over 2000 rpm's without it stumbling. Tested the FPRV last night and it is definitely weak and dumping fuel back in the tank instead of in the fuel rail.
How did you check the valve?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Take the rubber fuel line off the back of the fuel rail on the drivers side. Install a long peice of hose on it and stick the other end in to a bottel and go drive in. If theres a lot of fuel in the bottel then you've got a weak valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mines doing the same thing. Truck bogging down when getting on the throttle. Changed the air filter, fuel filter, and cleaned the maf sensor. Will some times run fine then others it will go nowhere. What could that be? Turbo? Tranny? Not enough fuel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts