Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my '05 3500 SRW big block gasser with an '05 2500 HD Dmax, while I haven't pulled my 35' TT with it yet I have hooked up to and the 2500 sets substantially lower in the rear. I am looking for some input on 3500 leafs or an airbag setup.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
The additional spring on the 3500 leaf stack does not really come into play until the rear squats down onto it. I considered this and ended up getting a set of air bags instead.

Since I only tow a 5er and never load it dis-similarly side to side I bought a "T" for the air lines and have only 1 Schrader valve so they both air up equally simultaneously.

They allow me to eliminate the squat which improves my ride when loaded and keeps my headlights from blinding oncoming traffic.

I bought the Air Lift bags because they were a bit less expensive, but would have bought the Firestone if they had been less.

Just my .02

Since you just got your truck the following thread may be of interest.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/988217-maintenance-info-suggestions-new-owners.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I realize that the single leaf doesn't really come into play. The main stack on the 3500 has 6 leafs while the 2500 has 5. I'm sure the airbag setup is easier and cheaper way to go, just not sure what size to go with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TY for the maintenance info, luckily or unluckily (depends on how you look at it) I found an estimate for accident repair in the glove box that had the previous owners contact info on it. Turns out its a one owner truck and the guy gave a detailed list of all that's been done to it

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
just not sure what size to go with.
Size?
Air Springs....1 kit to fit your truck, two brands mainly.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Airbags make it possible to adjust the height of the bed for mating with the 5th wheel hitch. On the other hand, adding SuperSprings provides the added support needed and without having to worry about an airbag failing while towing. I opted for the SuperSprings on my 2500HD and with 4,000 lbs. in the bed the truck is perfectly level with no sag. Also reduced sway in the turns with the higher loading of one set of springs. Took me an hour to install the SuperSprings on my truck and I have not touched them since.

I also upgraded the factory tires to Nitto ones that added 1100 lbs of load support at the rear axle. The higher rated tires provide more support and also run cooler and will last longer with reduced scrubbing with a load.

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
We have the bags on two trucks and really like the ride improvement while towing or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts