Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck into a local tire store to have my wheels and tires balanced last Monday. After a 4 hour wait I left with he tires rotated and balance beads in the tires to balance them. It took me until this Sunday to verify that that truck shook more than when I took it in. I went back today and they removed the balance beads and put on hammer on and stick on weights (lots of them). They also told me that one of my steel wheels was bent. I had minimal shake when the truck was dropped off. I dismissed the small amount of shake to them just being 19.5 wheels and tires. After leaving today and driving at different speeds the truck still shakes worst that when I took it in. If the wheel is bent it was before I took it in or they bent it because like I said it only shook just a little bit. Does anyone out there have any ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can not take it back until Thursday. :mad:

·
Registered
641 Posts
The problem is most of the shops have monkeys that work for them, and when they get the larger wheels they might not have the correct machines,or hubs for the wheels. If you have a lot of weights on a wheel, they should spin the tire on the wheel so you do not have alot of weights, Just being Lazy, add more weights is easy. I have found the best way to balance the larger tires is to find a real truck tire shop, and see if they have a tire truing machine ?? This machine shaves the tire, the big tires are not as perfect when they mold them, unlike a Hi Performance tire for a Car. This machine will spin the tire while installed on the truck and will remove the high spots until it is perfectly round, and then they will high speed balance the wheel and tire. I have done this on a set of 22.5 w/ Big Rig Tires, that were on my truck prior to the present set of 24's w/37's and I can go from 5 mph and over 80 mph, and not a shake from the wheels, and the steering has NO vibration. You just need a good Truck Tire Shop.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Usually the beads are the way to go... What size are your tires??? Did they put the correct amount of beads in? Also might have put the bent wheel in a more noticeable spot and like every frigin time I got to discount I tell them what I want my pressures at and have to air them down from 80 PSI every time...... This last time I did it in the parking lot in front of the door just to let the know how I felt......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires are 245 70 19.5. I checked the pressures and they were all different. I am going back on Thursday to get my money back for the balancing. I have found another shop that says that they can handle this size tire. I hope so, I need to go to Atlanta and it would be a miserable trip shaking the whole way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts