Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imma be picking up some new wheels and tires here in the near feature. I was looking for y’all opinion.

Should I go with Balancing Beads or Stick On weights. Beads make a lot of sense I just have no experience with them and don’t know anyone that does. The stick on weights I’ve had problems with. Idk if it was just the shop I went to or what. Stick Ons on nice new wheels isn’t the most appealing idea. Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

Also if you could recommend a place in the Orlando Area that offers Beads or you know does great work with Stick Ons, it would be greatly appreciated!

Wheel Size - 22x12 -44 offset
Tire Size - 35x12.50R22

·
Registered
703 Posts
Only thing about the beads is if you hit a pot hole just right it throws them all over in there and you about have to stop to let them settle down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing about the beads is if you hit a pot hole just right it throws them all over in there and you about have to stop to let them settle down.

If I was still living back in Chicago that would definitely be a concern lol. But on the outskirts of Orlando it isn’t a big deal. And I guess if you do hit one, it’s probably in stop and go traffic so it isn’t that big of a concern. But I do appreciate you pointing that out! I never would have thought of that!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I’ve never seen the beads work, personally.

Reactions: JimmyD

·
Registered
499 Posts

I have used beads both on my 05 Duramax and my 5th wheel trailer for over 10 years. I have never experienced the unbalance problem from pot holes you describe. Have you actually had such a problem?

I have my tires dynamically balanced and add beads to compensate for wear and do a fine balance. The beads compensate the unbalance of the brake drums of the 5th wheel as they are not balanced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not on my duramax, but i have used beads in the past. 33x12.5 hankook dynaproMT on 15x10s. Maybe its wasn't done properly, but heavy acceleration or deceleration would cause a wobble until it leveled itself off. Even merging on the highway took a little bit to level off. In Jersey, this included all the toll booths plus constant road construction so i was not a fan. Very good chance it wasn't done properly but i had them for over 20k miles before I sold those tires.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have the beads in my 07 now. I have 35K on this set of 285/17-16 coopers. I love the beads. Not only do the balance the tires continuously but also cancel road vibrations. I did read allot about them not working because the charts would tell you how much to put in the size tire but they would not work. Seemed there was not enough weigh to do the job. I went 2 oz heavy on mine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've had beads in tires on SRW and DRW one ton trucks. I loved them in the SRW. I bought the truck new and had it back to the dealership for vibration issues. They balanced the tires but said it would never be perfect as the G80 locking rearend was causing the vibration in the 50mph range. I added beads to the tires, problem solved as the beads are dynamically balancing everything that's spinning all the time. I did notice when I hit a rough bridge or something that knocked them out of place that it took a few seconds for them to find their happy place again, but it wasn't a big issue to me.

Never got them to perform to my liking on a dually. I finally gave up on the rears and removed the beads and installed Centramatics.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Imma be picking up some new wheels and tires here in the near feature. I was looking for y’all opinion.

Should I go with Balancing Beads or Stick On weights. Beads make a lot of sense I just have no experience with them and don’t know anyone that does. The stick on weights I’ve had problems with. Idk if it was just the shop I went to or what. Stick Ons on nice new wheels isn’t the most appealing idea. Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

Also if you could recommend a place in the Orlando Area that offers Beads or you know does great work with Stick Ons, it would be greatly appreciated!

Wheel Size - 22x12 -44 offset
Tire Size - 35x12.50R22
Since you live in Orlando, take your new wheels and tires to BOBOs tire in Haines City for balancing. You can thank me later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you live in Orlando, take your new wheels and tires to BOBOs tire in Haines City for balancing. You can thank me later.
Can you give me some more info and a review on why? I live in Mount Dora now so that’s a should haul. I’d like to know why before I drive and hour and deal with 429 and I-4 interchange lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Buy good tires and have them road force balanced. I run Nitto ridge grapplers the 2nd set on my 2020 35x12.50-20. As smooth at 85 as my C7 Z06. Been road force balancing fo over 20 years. Now more stores have the equipment to do it. There is no better balance imho. I go through tires like a fat boy goes through doughnuts at a doughnut shop. Lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts