Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go to Banks and they have a video of a L5P truck where they do dyno runs then install 5" exhaust, derringer and air intake. They show a great view of intake before install. Video attached.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=coYJzJnH1T0
Some images to look at here for comparison if this helps.
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2622-42249-ram-air-cold-air-intake-system-oiled-filter-for-use-with-2017-2019-chevy-gmc-2500-l5p-6-6l.html#!year=2017||make=CHEVROLET||model=SILVERADO 2500||submodel=6.6L DIESEL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a daily driver, 130 every day, I love my BANKS Power! so Fun, I have only had it for the last 3,000 miles on my LLY long Bed CC... Sh***s and Gets like a rocket now. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
For those getting this Banks intake, can you show me the area that sits against the fender? The factory box has a small rectangle letting air in, and I believe that is because it wants more of the hood air. I am curious if Banks pulls air from the fender. I am curious what the banks kits fender opening looks like compared to the factory air box.
The Banks intake has three inlets: top = hood (scoop), side = quarter panel (fender), bottom = wheel well.

Square opening in the side of the air box is slightly larger than the stock air box, and definitely larger than the square hole in the fender ... so fender opening limits flow.

The largest opening is the one on the bottom of the air box pulling from the wheel well ... and this opening is significantly larger than the stock opening ... and is not restricted by the opening size in the wheel well ... which is actually larger than the air box opening.

Also ... the Banks intake filter surface area is enormous compared to the stock filter ... massive is good word to describe the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
@UTEngineer Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Banks Power. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@UTEngineer Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Banks Power. Thanks for your feedback.
Now that the Banks Derringer w/ iDash has mobile regen functionality ... it offers more actual features than any other system ... and the highest performance increases.

I predict you will be satisfied with your purchase just as I am.

Let us know your feedback after installation ... and with some miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pics of the installed Banks airbox w/o the filter installed. Allows you to see all the side and lower entry ports for anyone who is interested.

Also pics of the size of the air filter compared to the entire stock air box. As UTEngineer stated: this filter is massive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
@UTEngineer Sent you a PM. Have a question about the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Found a $3 plastic cap that fit perfect for the intake resonator delete at Lowes ... in the sprinkler section of all places.

Once you remove the stock intake boot the intake resonator wobbles around ... so I removed the funky stock rubber washer causing the wobble issue and securely reattached the intake resonator.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Pictures of the $3 cap installed. In my opinion, it looks cleaner leaving the intake resonator installed. I highly recommend installing the Banks boot and deleting the intake resonator. My truck actually lost most of the hesitation it previously had when I punched the gas from a stop ... I was shocked at the improvement this caused.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much louder would you say the truck is with the resonator deleted. I am probably one of the few who likes the fact that the trucks are so much quieter now. I had an 05 LLY, this truck is so much quieter

·
Registered
41 Posts
How much louder would you say the truck is with the resonator deleted. I am probably one of the few who likes the fact that the trucks are so much quieter now. I had an 05 LLY, this truck is so much quieter
You can definitely hear more rumble with the Banks intake, but I'm not sure if the volume increase is due to the resonator delete or just a the larger filter in a less restrictive housing. My Yukon got louder with a K&N, so it may just be the larger filter addition. I also like it quieter, so I am going to put the resonator back on with the stock boot to see if it is noticeably quieter.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I ran mine with the stock boot for about a month ... definitely much quieter. There is definitely a low level drone sound with the intake resonator removed ... but nothing loud or annoying in my opinion. In my opinion the off-the-line hesitation tradeoff is worth the low level drone sound. I drive 30k per year for work so I also prefer the quiet ride ... so if it was annoying I would also put the stock boot back on. To each their own ... I recommend trying it both ways like I did and do what works best for you.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Finished up the exhaust install. I will add that in order to get the clamps tight, I had to break out the 1/2" drive ratchet. Tightened them with a 3/8" and the pipes still had some play. I used 4" band clamps. Sorry for the crappy pics. I was anxious to drive it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looks good ... and no more “trumpet” looking stock exhaust spewing hot exhaust fumes at your trailer during regen. 😉

21 - 40 of 54 Posts