Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I am in the process of picking up an 04 duramax and with no warranty its going to stay stock for about 15 minutes.

I am wondering if the "all in one" banks power packs are worth the cash or if its better to look at parts one at a time and go.

I am not looking to break any records or anything like that I just want something to have some fun with give my brother-inlaw's cummins a run.

Please let me know

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Most will say they are not worth it. Do a lot of research on here before you decide to buy anything and you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can find almost anything you need to know on this site! It's very useful and everyone will get you pointed in the right direction with what mods to do.

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
IMO, this is what I would do if I were you...

Look at the Banks package you are interested in....see what it comes with, then go and price the same parts with other companies and vendors... 9 times out of 10 you will get the same parts for cheaper. Esp. if you are looking into tuning, you could get a full blown EFI live setup for the same if not less than the cost of a 6 gun. And I had a banks setup before.... and it is gone for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
dont get the banks power pack. its a waste of money for what they charge. you can piece together a great package yourself for a lot less

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey all

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I am in the process of picking up an 04 duramax and with no warranty its going to stay stock for about 15 minutes.

I am wondering if the "all in one" banks power packs are worth the cash or if its better to look at parts one at a time and go.

I am not looking to break any records or anything like that I just want something to have some fun with give my brother-inlaw's cummins a run.

Please let me know

Get 4 or 5in turbo back exhaust, EFI live with DSP5 and you will give him all he wants...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit that I am looking at is the Big Hoss bundle

- 4" Dual Exhaust w/ Monster Muffler
- cold air intake
- Diesel Tuner & Banks iQ screen ( I love the idea of the screen )
- Wastegate Actuator
- Intercooler System

I am not sure who I can look at for these same parts if anyone can help I would love it as I don't want to get screwed.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Don't drink the Kool-Aid!!!!

This will get you more for your money than the Banks stuff:

Magnaflow SS downpipe back 4" exhaust
ProFab downpipe
EFILive-pretuned ECM or the full suite with Edge CTS monitor
S&B Intake
PPE boost increase valve
AirDog II-165gph

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
For the gain they give you it is not worth it. You can get way more power with that amount of money. My personal choice to start is an exhaust, buy aluminized if they don't salt the roads in your area it is much cheaper than stainless. Gauges are next, edge insights are nice digital ones or you can find pillar mounted circle gauges in which there are too many to list, Then get efi live from wherever you choose to be best, I use rob at ATP trucks. And a lift pump, an airdogII165 is one of the best.
That is about the cost of a banks bundle and you get much more power.

Now if you want some more power your gonna need a built trans and then you can add from there. Stock allisons are about at their limit once you add 90-120 rwhp more than stock.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Like the others have said, its a lot of money for the same gains that you could get for a lot less money. And you'll have better tuning going away from banks.

If you want, I can message you some ideas and prices of popular setups. Its easy to make good reliable power without breaking the bank.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started out with the Banks 6gun kit that you are looking at minus the CAC. It worked really good for what I wanted initially. The only thing I have left on the truck that is banks is the back section of the exhaust system.

They make really nice stuff, and their system will help keep the transmission from limping for a little longer if you do not run their max level tune. The system will defuel when if feels the Ali start to slip. I still smoked my trans with the Banks, but it went for a little longer than it would have with other tuners or programmers.

It also made the transmission harder to diagnose (we could read the codes, but could not repeat the problem with no power adder) because it only adds power when the system is plugged into the ODBII port. When it was unplugged, the motor was not making enough power for the trans guy to see what was happening.

If I had it to do all over, I would do what others have recommended, buy an exhaust system, an EGT gauge, EFILive w/ DSP5 and some SMALL tunes, the PPE boost valve, and then start saving my pennies for the transmission rebuild.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Simple answer- No.

Chris offered a good list of parts. Be smart and buy all that stuff first so you don't end up just having to buy it later. Get some tie rod sleeves too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it worth it to look into a new intercooler or are they just a waste for what I am looking for and should I look for a dry or oiled air intake

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Is it worth it to look into a new intercooler or are they just a waste for what I am looking for and should I look for a dry or oiled air intake
Intercooler is fine for you.

Dry filter, oil filters have issues with messing up the MAF sensor and can be costly having to replace the whole sensor.

I see youre looking at a 04(If its an LLY), I have a LLY S&B intake(Used) I could get to you. Buddy baught the wrong intake for his truck(LB7). The intake looks brand new. Was told it was used for only 1 month:thumb

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
not until you're pushing some nice hp numbers will you need to invest in a new intercooler bud. like 550-600+ imho

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think I will ever be pushing that much power. The truck stock is only 300 and I am looking at just basic bolt on parts maybe after everything 400 if I am luck and I mean very lucky

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Clearly Banks isn't so popular on this site... :p I think the most Banks products go with is the cold air (Ram Air) intake. Even at that there aren't many at all.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
it's because for their price they do not produce the gains over any other product for less of an investment

does banks make a good product? yes. they have nice things for sure. but when it comes down to it no better than afe, bills custom, ppe, etc.. and they can't even hold a candle to efi as far as tuning goes. I hate seeing new guys waste money because they're under the impression that this bundle is the best way to go.. its just ignorant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can understand that with the banks systems the name is a big part but I really don't care about that as long as I can build this thing to give my bro in law a little hard time then I am happy (he has exaust intake and I think a chip)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
why would you spend unnecessary money for the name brand then? you aren't making sense. there have been plenty of post in this thread with parts lists that will be around the price but will blow the doors off of a banks bundle..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts