Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone on here has their own opinions....but the PPE xCellerator is 600.00 and so is the Banks. What's the huge difference between the two? I know they say Banks monitors everything....and PPE is just a Flash. If you have an EGT guage and Boost guage....you can monitor your own stuff with PPE right? I guess I'm confused because Banks says it will NOT allow your EGTs to go too high...but they tell you to install a Pyrometer. Why do you need to install a pyrometer if it won't allow your engine to be hurt? Are they just one of those overpriced companies who promise you the world then take your money and give you crap in return? I've decided I'm buying a programmer...and PPE seems good. I was going to run on the 90 or 40 setting for better gas mileage. I don't race or tow...just travel alot. But I had some guy lecture me about how I should just get a banks because it will monitor my truck and not let me hurt anything. Any input from anyone would be great.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Personally, I think banks stuff is way over rated and over priced. You will have a lot better tuning with the PPE. the deal with any other plug in box that monitors your EGTs needs the pyrometer to be able to know when to back down the power when your EGTs get too high. For the most part though, in normal driving, you shouldn't hurt your engine even if you go over 1350* for short bursts (under 30 seconds). I have seen almost 1500 on my TST when I had it set at stock setting and was running the predator. I found out the TST doesn't back down when set on 0, but the lights do flash when I go over the EGT cut-off. If you are running the smaller tunes, you will be ok with out the pyro, but it is still a good idea to get one eventually. I have heard nothing but good things about the PPE programmer though.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty much what I read. The PPE seems like the way to go. I started looking at EFI live...but it seems WAY too complicated for what I'll be doing. I plan on running the 40 or 90 tune just for mileage. Thanx for the input!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha...ya know...I was waiting for someone to hit me about that. But in my defense..I don't know ANYTHING about boost, turbo, engine stuff, fueling, de-fueling, etc... I figure..I'm gona do PPE...then save 2,300 in the next year...and then get a Suncoast upgrade. After that...then I might look into EFI live...and see if I can't tear up some pavement. But here's a good question...in an automatic...how do you spool the turbo so there is no lag when you hit the throttle? And also...you have no tranny upgrades...what kind of mileage do you get...and what HP setting do you run on?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
But here's a good question...in an automatic...how do you spool the turbo so there is no lag when you hit the throttle? And also...you have no tranny upgrades...what kind of mileage do you get...and what HP setting do you run on?

You asking me? What do you mean how to spool the turbo? I honestly never feel a lag. I can get it to spool a little with just reving the engine or brake torquing it a little. I only get about 12mpg around town with the 285's and 16 or so on the turn pike.

Honestly Im not the most computer able guy so I myself have yet to figure out how to load EFI live :eek: :rof

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when I say spool the turbo...some people say you can build it up for a faster take off. And what is brake torquing? Also....so I'm guessing you have no tune at all loaded into your truck?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Brake torqing is when you hold the your foot on the gas and brake at the same time while its in drive. Alot of times you here brake torquing and 4x4 launches. In 2x4 the truck will spin tire if you brake torque at a start so if you use 4wd then you'll have full traction. But its a good idea to get tie rod sleeves if you do that.

Once you figure out what your truck can hold you can usually hit a few pounds of boost before launch. Getting one hell of a launch. Also if you see a truck pull. Alot of guys will brake torque it to get maximum power at launch :cool:

No I dont have any programming done to my truck yet. I bought the EFI live a few months ago and just got my lap top the other week so Im waiting to get a tune and learn about more before I load it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts