Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would comment on what it took to put in the Banks speedbrake/IQ, which is probably similar to Banks tuners, installation wise. In case anybody else is thinking about it, maybe my comments will save somebody time.

I am a weekend mechanic, but can follow instructions pretty well. From start to finish, it took me about 5 hours total. I didn't expect it would take that long, but a lot of time was needed for head scratching.

1) It took me awhile to get the tranny connector out, because its wedged back in a little area. To get the connector out, one has to squeeze the flats on the connector, but my hand just wouldn't fit on one side. It was just too narrow in there. So I levered a long screw driver on the tight side, and my hand on the other. It came off right away when I did that.
2) Figuring out how to get the main engine electrical connectors apart took me awhile, and I still think there has to be an easier way. They have locks on them that snap in place, but they were hard to get unsnapped. There is probably a trick that I don't know about.
3) You have to run a cable through the main firewall, and through a rubber grommet. Banks says cut a 1 inch X on each side and put the wire through. The grommet is fairly thick, and was hard to cut, especially on the cab inside where you don't have much access. I finally fished a puller wire through first, and then pulled the cable through my cut X slits.
4) Taking off the front dash, kicker panel was easy for me, because I'd done it before.

After that, it was pretty easy.
Make sure you have a few extra ties, as Banks seems to be kinda stingy on these. At first glance, it seemed like I had plenty, but more were needed IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So hows the reviews on how well it works? Ya shoulda taken a few pic and done a how to on the install.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So hows the reviews on how well it works? Ya shoulda taken a few pic and done a how to on the install.
I don't know how well it works yet, as the cable that hooks up the IQ has a broken miniature USB plug on it, so I am waiting for a new part from Banks.:eek:
But I wanted to post the installation review while it was still fresh in my mind.:)

If somebody is installing it, feel free to email me with comments.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
yea its an easy install and you will love it. after you get used to it you hardly ever use the brakes. did mine in half an hour though, cause i had the six gun to follow

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am curious how this product performs compared to the Fleece Performance TurboBrake

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
i dont know about fleece. banks lets me set 3 different settings, everyday, light, heavy. these can be automatic or engage by pushing the brake what ever you prefer. also,the rpm is set so it shifts at proper points and not red line like other products i have seen on here. there is also no cutting involved, just plug and play

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is good info bc I am looking to get one myself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question but I will ask anyhow.....

Does this void the warrenty or is it something you can remove before going to the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
i think it would be ok, unless it leaves something in the ecm(that i find unlikely). everything is easily removed as far as wiring and such

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
This might be a dumb question but do you need the Banks 6-Gun or IQ to run the speed brake. Also do you need to use a PDA to run the Speedbrake or can you just have it hooked up to a simple push button?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
yea to my knowledge you do need it to change the different speed settings

·
Registered
21 Posts
i haul a 18000 lb+ goose neck and the first few times i used it i thought i wasted alot of money but the last time i used it i was more used to it and it was more effective. but dont be fooled you can and will go well into the red when going down a steep grade

·
Registered
102 Posts
The TurboBrake is much more straightforward and works very well. We don't have the bells and whistles that the banks unit has, but honestly they're not necessary. You won't find anything that complicated in a Semi truck. You turn the jake's on and if you need them, you let off the throttle. Our system works the same way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My speedbrake is working fine now.
When I first got it, the miniature UBS connector was broken off in the IQ, but after contacting first my dealer, then Banks, I was shipped out a new IQ free of charge. Banks also paid for the return shipping.
It was a little bit of a hassle to get the warranty work done, but once I got through all the Banks phone screens, it was real smooth.

Anyway, it seems to work fine now, though I have yet to tow with it. That will be in about 2 weeks. My fifth wheel weighs in, loaded up, prolly at 11000 lbs or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts