Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so this is pretty confusing, please ask me if you're confused.
So I bought my truck with a stock exhaust system on it, with Banks Six Gun tuner and everything hooked up with the EGT sensor (Thermal Couple) hooked up.

I bought an MBRP exhaust and the thermal couple would not come out so we had to saw it off.

Anyways, so I bought a new thermal couple. HOWEVER, everything is still hooked up to banks (the connectors in the Six gun & Thermal high temp wire) which runs down to where the EGT Sensor would be.

The Thermal Couple I bought has a very small thermal wire and where my Six gun was installed, I need a long thermal high temp wire , which is in fact still there in my engine compartment.

So I was wondering if it was possible to cut and splice the two wires together - In other words, connect the wire with the EGT sensor to the existing thermal wire I already have?

Thanks so much !!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
From what I understand, cutting and hacking the Probe wires will not work. It has to do with the resistance in the wires.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Yup the wires can't be cut otherwise they will no longer read accurately. Did you buy the probe from banks or is it just a generic k type? You'll probably want to Ger one from banks since it'll have the connection you need on the other end.

And out of curiosity, where is the probe located? Should be in the passenger side exhaust manifold. Anywhere else will give you inaccurate low readings.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
137 Posts
We cut the leads here at work all the time, but we also use connectors and dont solder the wires. Ive never heard that cutting splicing will change temp readings, but hooking them up backwards will...

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Changing the length of the wires changes the resistance of the wire which WILL affect readings. Not much if you don't change the length much, but if you change it alot the readings can be significantly different than actual temps.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts