Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,902 Posts
That just gives you an idea of whether you have a blown head gasket and not really low compression due to rings.

· Registered
44 Posts
I took out my grid heater and have a fully deleted 15.5 lml with a lift pump. I have the same issues with “no start” whenever it gets into the 20s at night. I’m pretty sure there are two diesel types and here in California we get the diesel that gels up easier. I can keep pumping on the filter and cranking until after many attempts, I get an extremely rough white Smokey start. Maybe in Colorado they haven’t switched to winter diesel yet? I bought a fuel heater for my lift pump but haven’t installed it yet. We’ll see.

· Registered
310 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve got an 05 LLY that doesn’t start well below 30ish degrees.

It cranks for a pretty long while (going until the starter cuts out 4 or 5 times) before it finally goes.

I replaced all 8 glow plugs a few months ago, but it still does this. I’m thinking the actual plugs themselves aren’t getting enough current. Haven’t load tested them though. If it keeps up I might see if I can find an intake heater for it.

Any thoughts?
If it was a compression issue the hard start would be evident all the time and you would also notice a significant loss of power. I agree with the comments below even without any glow plugs the engine should start quickly down to at least 20F. Sounds like you have perhaps one or more issues relating to fuel, either it has a lot of condensation in it or in the fuel bowl, it is loosing prime through the filter housing or you have some sort of fuel leak in the system. These trucks have known issues with the filter manifold leaking and also with rusting fuel lines. The glow plugs are there to heat the air as it enters the combustion chamber, cycling them multiple times wont do anything, they either work or not.

· Registered
2003 LB7 Duramax 4x4
46 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve got an 05 LLY that doesn’t start well below 30ish degrees.

It cranks for a pretty long while (going until the starter cuts out 4 or 5 times) before it finally goes.

I replaced all 8 glow plugs a few months ago, but it still does this. I’m thinking the actual plugs themselves aren’t getting enough current. Haven’t load tested them though. If it keeps up I might see if I can find an intake heater for it.

Any thoughts?
When was your last oil change? I would run a 5w-40 and see if that helps before going down the rabbit hole of glow plug/fuel issues. Should see an improvement for starting in cold weather,

· Registered
7,489 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
I had same problem in my 05 LLY. Kept it plugged in and fixed it as long as I had access to AC voltage. Got stuck at a wyoming winter retreat and found out that the module would barely pass testing, so replaced it. Now I only plug in to get quick heat on windows. In denver area so I feel your no or slow start pain.Here is a ling to part.

· Registered
2015.5 Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW
1,343 Posts
I took out my grid heater and have a fully deleted 15.5 lml with a lift pump. I have the same issues with “no start” whenever it gets into the 20s at night. I’m pretty sure there are two diesel types and here in California we get the diesel that gels up easier. I can keep pumping on the filter and cranking until after many attempts, I get an extremely rough white Smokey start. Maybe in Colorado they haven’t switched to winter diesel yet? I bought a fuel heater for my lift pump but haven’t installed it yet. We’ll see.
You have a fully deleted truck and live in California?

· Registered
44 Posts
You have a fully deleted truck and live in California?
I live in one of 6 counties that don’t smog diesels. There are many deleted trucks once you’re out of the Bay Area/Los angeles. I fully deleted my truck @8k miles from def issues and the truck has been awesome ever since. Except when it’s very cold. Then it starts like an old tractor. Runs fine tho after its high idle.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update for y’all to look at:
I replaced the glow plug controller. Plugs stayed on for a while (2-3x longer than usual) but it was only 5-10 seconds. Truck fired up just fine. Went to do it again the next day and controller left them on for maybe 2 seconds and it didn’t start well at all.

I’m thinking the controller is shorting out and there’s an issue in the circuitry that blows the controller. Any thoughts?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What brand of batteries and how old? What are the CCA ratings on those batteries? How much driving do you do with the truck each day?
the truck runs for at least an hour (usually 3 or more) they’re brand new Caterpillar batteries 880 cca.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When was your last oil change? I would run a 5w-40 and see if that helps before going down the rabbit hole of glow plug/fuel issues. Should see an improvement for starting in cold weather,
changed the oil over thanksgiving, put 15-40 rotella in

· Registered
2003 LB7 Duramax 4x4
46 Posts
Update for y’all to look at:
I replaced the glow plug controller. Plugs stayed on for a while (2-3x longer than usual) but it was only 5-10 seconds. Truck fired up just fine. Went to do it again the next day and controller left them on for maybe 2 seconds and it didn’t start well at all.

I’m thinking the controller is shorting out and there’s an issue in the circuitry that blows the controller. Any thoughts?
I know you said you replaced the glow plugs. Where did you get these glow plugs and what brand are they?
*you could have 12v plugs instead of the 4.7v you need.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I know you said you replaced the glow plugs. Where did you get these glow plugs and what brand are they? *you could have 12v plugs instead of the 4.7v you need.
They were from diesel rx, not sure the voltage on them but it specified that they were for the lly or lb7

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
100% your issue. Lb7 and lly plugs are different. Get those out asap and get some acdelco 63g’s.
Any Recommendations for a website to order from? I'm in Montana and don't want to drive 2 hours each way to the dealer.

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,902 Posts

Seems to be the cheapest I've found for most parts. Just compared 3 sites for a glow plug and they were the cheapest. Other two sites were:

I'd definitely suggest OEM for the glow plugs, my buddy down the street has replaced his several times with a non oem and all failed, put the oem one in and its still going after a couple years now.

· Registered
7,489 Posts
Any Recommendations for a website to order from?

Get the part number you are interested in then google the part number for supply sources. I always look at RockAuto and Amazon for sure, and possibly others based on delivered price and delivery performance. Amazon warehouse often has excellent prices on parts with broken boxes, scratches, etc.

Reactions: Jayzu3s
21 - 40 of 40 Posts