Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my truck yesterday morning and the batteries were completeley DEAD!! Not even enough juice to unlock the doors.Has allways ran perfect,no lights,no problems ever.I charged the batteries and started the truck yesterday.Everything back to normal,checked to make sure nothing was left on.Started it again last nite to be sure and started perfect,And this morning completeley dead again(no power at all,not even interior lights) I dont think it's the batteries because it has allways started with no problem and the batteries are being drained completeley! When I started it yesterday there were no check engine light or bat light so it cant be the alt either!:help

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You have one dead battery that killed the other one likely.

Buy 2 new batteries and have your alternator checked out too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have one dead battery that killed the other one likely.

Buy 2 new batteries and have your alternator checked out too.
You think a battery can just go with no warning? Drive it every day,and then go to start it and completeley drained? No hesitation on starting ever until yesterday and no power at all!

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
You think a battery can just go with no warning?
Common scenario on Diesels....
One of your batteries is toast; the short is draining the other overnight. Two batteries are overkill for what’s needed to start the truck (one will do). When one starts to fail, the other takes up the slack and masks the symptoms of the 1 that’s dying, for a while, until you suddenly find they’re both dead.

A quick test for tonight...
You can pull the negative cable from the one passenger side battery for overnight, separating the two. In the morning, the one good one will get you started, not leave you stranded, and you can go have them both tested. Load test each battery separately from the other. Unfortunately, many times the one good battery will be weakened from it’s shorted mate, requiring two purchases instead of one. However, many prefer to replace in sets.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Common scenario on Diesels....
One of your batteries is toast; the short is draining the other overnight. Two batteries are overkill for what’s needed to start the truck (one will do). When one starts to fail, the other takes up the slack and masks the symptoms of the 1 that’s dying, for a while, until you suddenly find they’re both dead.

A quick test for tonight...
You can pull the negative cable from the one passenger side battery for overnight, separating the two. In the morning, the one good one will get you started, not leave you stranded, and you can go have them both tested. Load test each battery separately from the other. Unfortunately, many times the one good battery will be weakened from it’s shorted mate, requiring two purchases instead of one. However, many prefer to replace in sets.
Makes sence to me, Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hook em said exactly what I was going to say....but OP believe what you want, but you ask any mechanic who works with diesels and he will tell you exactly the same shi-

Like I said have your alternator checked too while you are there, get an idea of how well your charging system is while you are right there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hook em said exactly what I was going to say....but OP believe what you want, but you ask any mechanic who works with diesels and he will tell you exactly the same shi-

Like I said have your alternator checked too while you are there, get an idea of how well your charging system is while you are right there.
Thanks for the advise guys...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most people are fooled by the "battery" light. It really has little to do with the battery, if the battery light comes on it usually (99.9% of the time) is the alternator. When I worked in a shop I always recommended replacing them in pairs so as not to reduce the life of the new one.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Most likely you have a bad battery-- replace both, and your problems will go away. Most batteries last only 3 years.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two new batteries installed today.So far seems to be working perfect.Funny thing is my radio has allways had a high pitch whining noise,now that the new batteries are installed that went away too!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You think a battery can just go with no warning? Drive it every day,and then go to start it and completeley drained? No hesitation on starting ever until yesterday and no power at all!
That's how mine went, couple weeks ago. Mine were the original Delcos from '03 so I think I got my money's worth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts