Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having an issue where on cold startups none of my gauges work, the battery light, Air Bag and ABS light are on, but the truck is running. After 4-5 attempts (shutting off and restarting) everything goes back to normal, and for the remainder of the day its fine. Next morning, same issue. Maybe alternator going bad?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's more like a defective Instrument Cluster (IPC) which has Bad Solder Joints. Is your Duramax a 2003?

My 2003 has had two Instrument Clusters replaced under warranty, and the one I have now comes on after 3-4 minutes of run time, which means most of the time I'm driving when they reset. There is also a Tech Service Bulletin on a Software update that helps fix that problem, but my dealer wants $100 for that update. And I've decided to get the Cluster Repaired first, then get the Software update if it still doesn't work properly.
(The IPC has 7 Surface Mount Resistors that aren't soldered properly, along with soldering needed in the Power Supply regulator circuit.)

I'm going to Remove the IPC and send off to the guy in MN that rebuilds, calibrates, and guarantees them. He is on Ebay selling his rebuild service. You get the IPC back in less than 7 days.

It's such a shame that GM doesn't come CLEAN on these Drivability issues (Four minutes with absolutely no idea of Oil Pressure, Speed, Tach, Charge, etc.), and repair them under warranty for those of us that continue to buy their products.

I'm a SLOW learner, but I've finally reached the last straw after 40+ years of being a LOYAL GM Customer.

Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts