Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a breaker or relay of some sorts between the batteries and the main system?

I left my truck for a few days and I think my satellite radio drained both batteries.

I tried to jump the truck and in doing so I grounded out the positive terminal on one battery; nothing serious just a couple of sparks but I think it popped a relay or something.

Now when I hook up cables to try and jump the truck I have no power to the truck.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
There are ignition fuses that could have fried if the ignition was in any postition except off. Also, If you are using the juction box for the positive, you might want to use a good ground. Some of the junction boxes have been painted and aren't good grounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I initially tried the junction box to jump the truck and the starter relay would just click and not turn over. I then tried to just hook up to one of the batteries and that is when I grounded the positive side of the battery. Like I mentioned it was nothing major but something popped.

I checked all the fuses both under the hood and under the dash. I checked them all with a test light and they were all OK. Even with power to all the fuses I still had no power to anything else....no lights, ignition, horn, power locks etc....

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
sounds like the batteries are fried. My parents had this problem on a car of their's and it worked one time to start and then it wouldn't even click after the fact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

If the batteries are fried should I still be able to start the truck via a jump or will I have to get new batteries in it first?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
On my parent's car we were able to jump it, but you might need to get new batteries first. If you can take them out to get tested at an autoparts store first, I would do that. Even if only one is bad, change both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts