Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Black Betty (06 LBZ, CC, 4wd dually) was totaled by the insurance company after landing on it's side July 30th 2020.
Took a little over four months and found pretty close to what I wanted as a replacement.
The new truck is a 2008 Chevy nicknamed Battlestar Balactica. Same exterior color, four doors, dual rear wheel, four wheel drive, loaded with leather, sunroof and dvd player in the ceiling. Not a fan of the style of aftermarket wheels, but they're growing on me. Lot of mods already done. Most of which should have been done with better detail. It's workable and I'll get it where I like it, in time. May need some direction with a coupe things. All in due time.

Miss driving my 06 LBZ, but still have it. Bought it back from the insurance company. Might sell it, might keep it, most likely put a 70+ year old Chevy truck body on the chassis and drivetrain.
Out with the old, in with the new...

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the CTS2 out of the '06 to put it in the '08. Modified the monitor mount housing to fit the dash in the '08. Pretty happy with the turn out.

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made a drive up towards Kansas City about a week ago with the gooseneck, a couple garden tractors and a 100+ year old road grader. Pulled off the interstate to check a loose chain and stopped the truck a couple hundred feet behind a semi truck. Turned out the Kenworth driver ran out of fuel. He asked if I had a fuel jug, which I didn't. Next best thing? Give him a tow into town.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Impressive. Where did you strap him to? Happy to hear your ok with the old, the loss always sucks like that but at least she didnt turn in to a box of Legos

Reactions: rwood64083

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Looking good Randy. Always an adventure with your stories.

Hope you come up with a great project for Black Betty.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Do the wheels/bolt pattern on the old truck match up with new?

Know what year GM changed the duallys bolt pattern?

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
610 Posts
You need to fix that truck. Looks like a easy fix

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Impressive. Where did you strap him to? Happy to hear your ok with the old, the loss always sucks like that but at least she didnt turn in to a box of Legos
Kenworth has two square receivers bolted to the frame rails. They stick out forward just far enough to be flush with the front of a stock or aftermarket bumper and have chrome covers that pop in place to hide the square holes.
As part of KW's emergency kit they also have a short drawbar and pins that slide into the receiver(s) so a chain or tow rig can hook. I didn't snag a photo. Got these photos from internet to help visualize:

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking good Randy. Always an adventure with your stories.

Hope you come up with a great project for Black Betty.
Nothing's ever easy with me, but good bar stories come from the experiences 🍺🍺

Reactions: McSpeed

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do the wheels/bolt pattern on the old truck match up with new?

Know what year GM changed the duallys bolt pattern?
I'm guessing the bolt pattern is the same. Thing is the 06 has 16 inch rims and the 08 has 17's. The 06 and the 08 both have larger than stock size tires. I haven't measured overall diameter, but there's a good chance they'll be about the same size. I'm waiting till I wear the crap out of the tires on the 08 before swapping ;)

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to fix that truck. Looks like a easy fix
I hear ya. Most of it would be except the buckled roof area above the right rear door. I've worked in body shops that we've rebuilt vehicles that looked like they've been broad sided by a train. Always a lot of possibilities, projects and hobbies going on in my world. Rebuilding the truck isn't at the top of the list at the moment.

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have questions.

Injector2.PNG

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you are looking into Injectors. I would highly suggest [email protected] Lincoln Diesel Specialties. The have what you need with a truck load of customer service and knowledge to go with the great product. Just sayin
Nice looking rig btw. Sorry to hear about the LBZ.

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are looking into Injectors. I would highly suggest [email protected] Lincoln Diesel Specialties. The have what you need with a truck load of customer service and knowledge to go with the great product. Just sayin
Nice looking rig btw. Sorry to hear about the LBZ.
Thanks.

Thought you might this...

·
Registered
735 Posts
@rwood64083 Thats a clean 68. I dig it. Mine is not an Original SS but it is built to run. Old school but all the same. Mine started as just my DD in 1987 and has transformed from there. 327/ 375hp Spec'd to a 64 Corvette motor from way back in the day!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Did you happen to be pulling a little green dozer through michigan last night?

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are looking into Injectors...
Injectors are already installed ;)

Thats a clean 68. I dig it. Mine is not an Original SS but it is built to run. Old school but all the same. Mine started as just my DD in 1987 and has transformed from there. 327/ 375hp Spec'd to a 64 Corvette motor from way back in the day!
Love it!
I love old school hot rods. My '55 was built old school with a 350. 10.5-1 flat tops, 202 double humps, Lunati, etc followed up with 12" clutch, scatter shield, M21, 12 bolt using 410's and a Richmond posi.

Yeah, swaps and LS motors and all that. Lot of great builds out there. They're fine. For muscle cars I prefer original body lines and old school hot rod builds.

The 68 pictured I built for my wife years ago. Mild build with balanced 350, auto, 4 wheel disc brakes. Installed an Eaton posi when swapping the ring and pinion. Went from a 331 gear to 373. Like any build, you realize things you'd like to change over time. I went up in rear tire size and put 255's on Susan's Camaro after installing the 373's. Since then I've built a 5 planetary gear "drag race strength" 700R4. At 70mph with the diff ratio and rear tire size it should tach around 1800. I can live with that. Haven't installed the transmission yet. Susan's been hinting at wanting a big block. Told her 396 or 454. If her heart is set on 427 expect to shell out more bucks. One thing led to another and now she's also interested in a 4 speed. That's only because I opened my big mouth and told her I have an M22 sitting in the shop with bell housing, brand new clutch assembly and a new flywheel.

·
WOOD... man!
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you happen to be pulling a little green dozer through michigan last night?
Wasn't me this time. See a black 4dr dually with a 32ft gooseneck?

I'm done with chasing antique tractors for awhile. I may make a run up north of Omaha in a couple months to pick up a Case cross motor. I'm top heavy on hobby projects and really want to get to some of the things that have been sitting for years.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts