Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my BDS lift installed today and we went to put the new wheels and tires on and they are rubbing on the front valance pretty bad under hard turns. I ordered the 20x10 BMF Novakanes and 35x12.50x20 Toyo Open Country tires. I have seen other guys running this same lift and wheels and it doesnt seem to be a problem. Anyone else having this issue? I love these wheels but I cant use em if they dont fit. I was thinking maybe the 20x9 in this same style might work, but the guy I talked to at the shop said I have to run the 10" wides because of the lift. I guess the narrorower wheels wont clear the control arms with the BDS lift kit.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I don't see how they rub, I ran the same wheels with 33" tires on my truck stock..I don't see how a 2" bigger tire would rub on a 6.5" lifter truck..

·
like a Ninja
5,211 Posts
do you know the back spacing of the rims you have now? this is BDS's wheel chart if it helps you out any

Tire & Wheel Combinations
37" x 12.50" w/17 x 8 and 4-1/2" to 4-5/8" back spacing
37" x 12.50" w/18 x 9 and 4-1/2 to 4-5/8" back spacing
37" x 12.50" w/20 x 9 and 5" - 6" back spacing

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
You'll fit no problem! I run a 20x9 on a 33, leveled and no rub...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont get why they are rubbing so bad then...Other guys have the same size wheels and tire combo with the same lift no problems.

Its at the shop right now still and they are closed.

Here is a pic with the stock wheels on with the lift:

And a pic with the wheels/tires on it:

Any ideas? Do I need to have em turn up the t-bars up front to get more lift or something?

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I don't understand how they are rubbing either...... and where from PA are you from?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think maybe it's the backspacing on the wheels? I dunno. Like I said I don't get how others are running the same setup without a problem

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
Maybe im wrong here but going from a 10 to 9 inch wheel is only a half inch clearance difference.. On level land is your front cranked to match the rear? And how much trimming would u have to do?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe im wrong here but going from a 10 to 9 inch wheel is only a half inch clearance difference.. On level land is your front cranked to match the rear? And how much trimming would u have to do?
Figured out the problem. The GMC trucks have a much larger and longer/lower valance up front than the Chevys do. Looking at them side by side, the GMC has about 2-3" of additional plastic on the valance and that was what is making it rub. For now, I am just going to trim that back a little bit and see how it goes. Because I am in PA I am probably going to need to find a set of wheels that tucks under the truck a little bit more because we arent allowed to have the tires stick out from the fender wells and these stick out pretty far. Anyone want this wheel/tire combo for their truck? I would be willing to trade for a 20x9 wheel just to experiment with.

·
like a Ninja
5,211 Posts
I dont get why they are rubbing so bad then...Other guys have the same size wheels and tire combo with the same lift no problems.

Its at the shop right now still and they are closed.

Here is a pic with the stock wheels on with the lift:

And a pic with the wheels/tires on it:

Any ideas? Do I need to have em turn up the t-bars up front to get more lift or something?
do you have any pics from the front so everyone can see your CV angles :D

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
Just remember that your wheels will ONLY fit on a 2011....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More pics I took today...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Couple more pics. Sorry they arent super hi-res I was just using my iPhone while I was down by Lake Erie...

·
Registered
113 Posts
that is beautiful, i love that stance, its perfect

·
Registered
125 Posts
^^^ what he said. Great looking truck.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts