Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, picking up my first duramax in the next few days. It's an 05 with 68kmi ls extended cab fir 21grand I think it's a great price, however he told me the computer was reset to 100hp over stock, it worries me, I'm reading 90 hp is the max you can do on a stock tranny, should I be weary, it's an older guys he bought almost new and only pulled a 7500 pound trailer... Advice please

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Question is if he limped it.... I personally would never tow with I hp tune that high.....
But then again I have bad dreams of limping my tranny

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
What are your plans for it? Has it been driven hard? Why does it have a 100hp tune on it?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
You need to find out who tuned it, get a copy of the tune if possible. Check the fluids thoroughly.

I would even hook up a code reader and see if there is any ghosts in there. Price seems a bit high honestly.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
You need to find out who tuned it, get a copy of the tune if possible. Check the fluids thoroughly.

I would even hook up a code reader and see if there is any ghosts in there. Price seems a bit high honestly.
The good advice I couldn't come up with....

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^^^^ Very good advice
You should be fine, 100HP tune is where you are going to make your best mileage at loaded or unloaded it just an all around good tune(In my opinion). You really shouldn't limp the tranny unless you are driving it hard. I run mine in the 100HP tune all the time and have only slipped my tranny once pulling 23,000lbs worth of trailer and hay.

do you know has the tranny ever been serviced? cuz it really should have been at 50K

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill do that, I don't think the price is high I mean it books for 28k. Seems reasonable at the worst. He didn't drive it like an animal either.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Us old guys are USUALLY pretty gentle with our trucks...:) 100 HP is going to be an arbitrary number, unless your actual truck has been dyno'd, could be 80 HP, 110 HP, 60 HP, who knows? Probably not even the guy that made the tune. Price could be good if it's a non-rusty truck and is nicely equipped and well cared for. Congrats!.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is it 2wd or 4wd?
I got my 05 for 23k. It had 61k miles, crew cab, short bed, 2wd, 14" CST lift, brand new 40" toyos on 20s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts