Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Got my new 2015 LTZ 3500 SRW. Having the bed sprayed today.

Now I need to order a cover for the bed.

I had an Access cover before, and it worked great, no issues at all for 8 years I had it. The BAK Roll-X intrigues me, since it seems a little more secure, plus as you are driving no ripples in the covers vibrating since it is more solid.

I'm torn now between the BAK Roll-X or a trifold type. I keep looking at the canister types as well.

With the trifold, it seems that to fold it all the way up, it would block the rear view (up against the cab). Price between this and the Roll-X seems pretty close.

I was curious about the canister types. There is a drain hose. Where does this go ? Do I need to drill into the bed ?

I've read all the posts here as well as watched a lot of you tube videos as well trying to decide.

Any other thoughts on pros and cons of trifold vs roll-x ?

Thank you so much in advance

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the bak-flip for a few reasons:

1. It sits even with the bed rails rather than on top.

2. It does not take up any bed room like the roll ups that have a canister that protrudes down and also out. So if you need full use of your bed you can fold completely up and yes, lose the rear window view (use your mirrors).

3. Easy to remove by yourself

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a tri-fold and now have a cannister style, Retrax Pro. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on how you plan to use your truck. The tri-folds are nice because they are cheaper, easier to install, some can access front or back. Disadvantages are only open or closed, some wind vibration, not lockable generally. Cannister style are lockable, generally nicer looking, and can open to multiple points. Drawbacks are higher cost and loss of bed space with the cannister. You do need to drill holes in bed for drain hose which for me is a negative and the drain hoses do get plugged up from time to time with leaves and tree crud getting washed into the cannister.

I'm looking at a new truck also (Silverado 3500 D/A CC) so I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm leaning toward a rigid folding tonneau, Fold-a-Cover G4 because it's lockable and looks to suit my needs best. I've checked out about ten different makes and some have nice features, but other things that would be a hassle to me.

Just curious if you plan on towing with your 3500 and wondered what brand of bedliner you got?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the Retrax Models over Tri-fold. Just my opinion! I already have drain holes in my bed so that didn't bother me.

LINE-X again IMO is the best spray in bedliner when done correctly with the correct amount of buildup etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also wanted to mention my neighbor has the BAK Roll-x on his F150 and he seems fairly happy with it. It does seem to be fairly easy to use and basically water tight. The reason I ruled it out for me was
1) it was really a vinyl cover over a series of aluminum panels linked together. I was concerned about fading/wear to the vinyl cover. We have many large trees in our yard that could drop sticks to damage vinyl.
2) If I recall correctly you have to open the tailgate to open the cover. I saw this on several tonneaus and that wasn't handy for me. Our garage space is tight on my side and the truck will just fit in. I would need to raise the door to drop the tailgate to open the tonneau. I want to be able to open the tonneau w/o dropping the tailgate. Also, I think that the tonneau only locks by being trapped by the tailgate itself. There is no lock on the tonneau. I wanted a locking tonneau.

The Roll-X tonneau itself looks to be a quality product and does seem to fit well. Again, it's really just a matter of how you intend to use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the Retrax Models over Tri-fold. Just my opinion! I already have drain holes in my bed so that didn't bother me.

LINE-X again IMO is the best spray in bedliner when done correctly with the correct amount of buildup etc.
Having the drain holes already in the bed would make it easier.

Do you know about how much the Line-X application cost? I'm looking at 6.5 ft bed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Back in 2012 when I did my 2011 LML it was $467.89 and they were running a promo for over the rails for free. The guy said over the bed rails costs around $80 to $100 more typically. I had mind done in Michigan at the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is some info I found on another site discussing the pro's con's of liners. I am not the Author of this info but it may help someone else etc! Credit to Original Author.

I did get the Xtra Product on my truck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reflex and Vortex are low pressure applications and will not look as nice as any high pressure application. Low pressure products look chunky and sort of gooped on.

Arma is a pretty good product and is high pressure, but it's aromatic and will fade from the sun. You might consider an optional UV topcoat.

Rhino sells several bedliner products, but they are polyurethane which is less expensive and is not as strong as some other brands (like LINE-X). Specifically, Rhino Tuff Stuff is low pressure, Rhino Tuff Grip and Hardline are high pressure. All are aromatic and will fade.

LINE-X is high pressure and uses "top shelf" chemicals. They were the first to offer a limited lifetime warranty that's valid nationwide. No other brand has a product like Xtra (co-owned by DuPont) which is used for colors and sometimes black. LINE-X Premium a new product that won't fade or lose it's gloss like Xtra, but Premium cost less. Right now, Premium is only available in black.

Buying a bedliner is like buying other things, if you buy cheap - you get cheap. Bedliners products are not all the same so do your research and buy what you can afford.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like my RetraxPro, my bed already had two drain holes in the front and we put the cover drain hoses into them, only get a little water in the bed when it rains. I can't ever tell if it will have rain or not until I open the tailgate to see. I love the cover because of the way it locks and the fact that I can open the tailgate with the cover closed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Pace Edwards full metal jacket. Really Like it. I do get a little water in the back from the gaps around the tail gate. But, it works great. We have a 5th wheel, and I can roll up the bed cover and not have to take it off. It does take up a little space where the canister is, but if needed, it is very simple to remove. I also like that it locks and is flush with the bed. I did look at the RetraxPro, but I didn't like the glossy finish or the price...

As for drain holes, there are holes in the bed, but it was necessary to drill drain holes for the canister because they are in a different place.

I read some reviews on the Bak Roll-x and many said that it leaks in many places. I do have a friend with the Bak tri fold, and it works good, locks good, but not great when they hook up their 5th wheel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a Truxedo on my 2011 and loved it. When I ordered my High Country, I also ordered the BAK Roll-X. Installation was simple and it does a great job at sealing the bed. Fairly large when rolled up. But I hardly ever have to drive like that. Very happy with my choice!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I have a G4 and love it. Its the GM accesory one the dealer installed and works great.

Avalon

·
NEVER LESS
430 Posts
I have a EXTANG Tri-fold hard cover. When it is folded up it does not block rear window it stays securely folded with two cordura straps that click into place. I weigh 185 and can walk across it when it's closed. Very durable and I've had the same one on my last three trucks. Just took it off and reinstalled. It was the perfect choice for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a G4 and love it. Its the GM accesory one the dealer installed and works great.

Avalon
Do you pull a 5th wheel? I'm looking at that tonneau and wanted to hear from someone who had it w/ a 5th wheel. Wanted to know about clearance of the hitch head when it is fold up at the cab of the truck. About how tall is the G4 whan folded up at the front of the bed?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
No, thr G4 wont work then. You will need a retractable then.

Avalon

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have some input with covers on trucks with 5th wheels hitches. On my 04 LB7 I had the Undercover one piece solid cover, it worked good and had no leaks ever. The downside is that it was awkward size ( took 2 to remove) and had to be removed to use hitch at all, or haul something tall in bed. My 07 OBZ had the Bak Flip on it, had it installed by local shop. It worked great and was easy to use. I could haul my fifth wheel with it folded flat in the front of bed, I never had to fold it up by window unless needed the room for bikes or something. The downside to it is cost and I hear it's kind of tricky to get installed straight, thats why I let dealer install it. My 09 LMM currently has the Extang Solid Fold, it is easy to install and remove by myself. I have only used my fifth wheel with it one time without removing it and got very close to touching the folded cover when turning on an incline, I've always removed it since then. I can raise the king pin plate about 1-2 inches on my hitch and I may try that, I looked at another Duramax the other day that the owner never removed his Extang to tow, his hitch was slightly higher giving it more clearance. The covers foam seal over the tailgate has worn some from tailgate use and gets some water in with hard rain/car wash. Each one has their pros and cons, its just what your are willing to pay and how easy you want it to be. I was going to buy the BakFlip for my 09 but found this Extang for $425 on Craigslist, the guy bought a used Duramax with it and didn't want a cover. It was in very good condition and I've had it on mine for 3 1/2 years now. I know this post is long but wanted to tell you what I knew about each one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have some input with covers on trucks with 5th wheels hitches. On my 04 LB7 I had the Undercover one piece solid cover, it worked good and had no leaks ever. The downside is that it was awkward size ( took 2 to remove) and had to be removed to use hitch at all, or haul something tall in bed. My 07 OBZ had the Bak Flip on it, had it installed by local shop. It worked great and was easy to use. I could haul my fifth wheel with it folded flat in the front of bed, I never had to fold it up by window unless needed the room for bikes or something. The downside to it is cost and I hear it's kind of tricky to get installed straight, thats why I let dealer install it. My 09 LMM currently has the Extang Solid Fold, it is easy to install and remove by myself. I have only used my fifth wheel with it one time without removing it and got very close to touching the folded cover when turning on an incline, I've always removed it since then. I can raise the king pin plate about 1-2 inches on my hitch and I may try that, I looked at another Duramax the other day that the owner never removed his Extang to tow, his hitch was slightly higher giving it more clearance. The covers foam seal over the tailgate has worn some from tailgate use and gets some water in with hard rain/car wash. Each one has their pros and cons, its just what your are willing to pay and how easy you want it to be. I was going to buy the BakFlip for my 09 but found this Extang for $425 on Craigslist, the guy bought a used Duramax with it and didn't want a cover. It was in very good condition and I've had it on mine for 3 1/2 years now. I know this post is long but wanted to tell you what I knew about each one.
I appreciate the feedback on your experience w/ tonneau covers w/ 5th wheel towing. I did look into the Extang solid fold and the issue I had w/ it was no way to lock, if I recall correctly. I really want a locking tonneau. I also checked out the Bakflip F1 and G2. Neither of these locked separately, but were secured by a locking tailgate. I also ruled out the G2 for another reason, but didn't write it down on my notes. I really don't want to have to remove the cover when towing, but I'm trying to avoid a cannister style if possible. The cannister style probably would address my needs the best, but I haven't been that happy w/ my Retrax.

·
NEVER LESS
430 Posts
As long as your tailgate is locked the EXTANG TRI-FOLD cannot be removed without damaging it. Remember locks only keep out honest people.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts