Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting out of my '09 and into a 2018 or newer L5P. Only have 101,000 miles on the '09, but really like the numbers the L5P produces. I also like the thought of the exhaust break. I pull a pretty good load up in the high country of Colorado so all of those improvements seem like the way to go. However, my question is about the bed height. Does anyone have a measurement from the ground to the top of the bed rails at the very rear end of their truck? Stock, OEM setup. Mine measures 4'-8". I pull a 5th wheel, so this measurement is important to maintain clearance between the bed rails and the overhang. My 5th wheel sits just slightly nose high already, and the newer trucks look like they sit higher. I can't adjust the hitch any lower and still maintain the proper clearance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your State Troopers don't give you any issues with the trailer on trailer action you have going on? I like it! Wondering if I could pull that off in Florida.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your State Troopers don't give you any issues with the trailer on trailer action you have going on? I like it! Wondering if I could pull that off in Florida.
Nope, it's totally legal out here. Don't think it's legal in Florida, or really anywhere else along the east coast.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a tape measure Bob but my pickup is a 16 so i can't help you out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hate to sound like Mr. Obvious but why don't you just stop in at a new car lot and jump out with a tape measure? If you have a tape handy you should be able to be in and out before a saleman nabs you.

Oh, and your double hitch setup is 48 state legal as long as you stay on the Interstate, assuming you stay within length restrictions, etc. The simple act of pulling 2 trailers is fine as long as the front one is a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Of course, if you stray too far from The Big Road, you have to check on state regulations to ensure you're still ok. Perfectly fine here in KS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, you are wrong. An RV combo with 2 trailers is not legal in numerous states, with some doubles states specifying only a boat of no longer than a certain length can be a tail trailer. Cross over certain state lines you will be impounded if caught. Do some research at Camping World/Trailer Life.
To be legal as you claim you need: A valid CDL, with a doubles/triples endorsement, current DOT medical card, driver's log, a US DOT number on your truck's door, required insurance and safety gear etc.
Things are different when you are "not in Kansas anymore Toto"
tay on the Interstate, assuming you stay within length restrictions, etc. The simple act of pulling 2 trailers is fine as long as the front one is a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Of course,

·
Registered
37 Posts
2018 L5P 2500 CCSB. LTZ Z71 midnight edition with 275/65R18 load range E Duratracs.

Bed height is 57.5" measured through the wheel hub. I do not have a 5th wheel hookup but bed depth at the same location is approximately 21"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2018 L5P 2500 CCSB. LTZ Z71 midnight edition with 275/65R18 load range E Duratracs.

Bed height is 57.5" measured through the wheel hub. I do not have a 5th wheel hookup but bed depth at the same location is approximately 21"
Thank you very much. That's about 1-1/2" higher than my '09. I could possibly get by with that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to sound like Mr. Obvious but why don't you just stop in at a new car lot and jump out with a tape measure? If you have a tape handy you should be able to be in and out before a saleman nabs you.

Oh, and your double hitch setup is 48 state legal as long as you stay on the Interstate, assuming you stay within length restrictions, etc. The simple act of pulling 2 trailers is fine as long as the front one is a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Of course, if you stray too far from The Big Road, you have to check on state regulations to ensure you're still ok. Perfectly fine here in KS.
Well Mr. Obvious, I'm not surrounded by car lots with this particular vehicle in it, hence the reason I came here asking for an owner of this particular vehicle if they could get me a measurement.
And, no, this double hitch setup is NOT 48 state legal. Better do a little research on that before giving advise. For the most part, out west here we are governed by length, but along the east coast in many of the states, it is not legal, regardless of hitch configuration. I believe the same is true in Washington and Oregon, but would have to double check before saying for certain.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Glad you got the information you were looking for. I fessed up to being Mr. Obvious in the beginning. If you're too far from new car lots to get a measurement, fair enough.

Concerning all the experts with comments about pulling doubles, there were multiple naysayers so I did not quote any of them:

For all the naysayers, I do not need to do any more research. Read my post again. I stated you can pull double hitched in 48 states, (probably 50 but I've never hauled in Alaska or Hawaii so I stuck with 48), AS LONG AS YOU STAY ON THE INTERSTATE. I did not say that there are no other restrictions. I simply stated that pulling 2 trailers is legal on the interstate anywhere as long as the front one is a gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch. I'll say it again if I need to.
Like I stated before, once you stray very far from the Interstate, you do need to check out state laws. I get that and I stated that in my first post. From Kansas, Toto and Dorothy say, "Have a nice day."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
331 Posts
FYI
Here are the facts.
State Laws Can Pull You in Many Directions if You Double Tow | PickupTrucks.com

Triple Towing: What You Need To Know Before You Pull 2 Trailers Behind A Car, Truck, Or RV

PIckuptrucks.com, huh? Well why didn't you say so? That's about as official as it gets!

You can lead a horse to water and shove his head under, but if he wants to drown, not much you can do.

It's America, you're free to be as wrong as you want to be, at least for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PIckuptrucks.com, huh? Well why didn't you say so? That's about as official as it gets!

You can lead a horse to water and shove his head under, but if he wants to drown, not much you can do.

It's America, you're free to be as wrong as you want to be, at least for now.
So you are the one on this forum. You know, every forum has "that guy" that knows more than everyone else, even when you are proven wrong by several sources. I notice you only chose to single out one source, even though it states the same information as the other two. LOL
There are several more sources that also prove you wrong, but obviously it's a waste of time to post them, since you "know" that they are all wrong, and you alone are right. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
It must be lonely at the top.......:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you very much. That's about 1-1/2" higher than my '09. I could possibly get by with that.
Does the 09 have the door stickers that have the truck's rating? My measurements are unloaded and with those Duratracs so your reading could be different on street tires. Once the leafs flex, you may have a nice balanced stance under load. I do remember it being a part of the discussion with the L5P, similar to the new positioning of the 5th wheel OEM hookup on the 2020s

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you are the one on this forum. You know, every forum has "that guy" that knows more than everyone else, even when you are proven wrong by several sources. I notice you only chose to single out one source, even though it states the same information as the other two. LOL
There are several more sources that also prove you wrong, but obviously it's a waste of time to post them, since you "know" that they are all wrong, and you alone are right. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
It must be lonely at the top.......:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Wow, talk about the pot and the kettle. I know what I know. LIfe long CDL holder, drove in 49 states, commercially hauled in 48 of them. Been there done that. I promise you doubles are legal in 48 states ON THE INTERSTATE. You haven't proven a damn thing. When you're through bantering and really want to know the truth, call the highway patrol in one of those states that supposedly do not allow doubles. Federal law - states cannot impose stricter regulations on the federal interstate highway system than the federal laws. If they do they lose their federal funding. Or don't call if you're scared. Do you know what an interstate highway is? It has the sign that looks like a blue badge with some red across the top. You just go ahead and be right in your own mind. Go away loser. Or respond whatever you want. I'm done here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, talk about the pot and the kettle. I know what I know. LIfe long CDL holder, drove in 49 states, commercially hauled in 48 of them. Been there done that. I promise you doubles are legal in 48 states ON THE INTERSTATE. You haven't proven a damn thing. When you're through bantering and really want to know the truth, call the highway patrol in one of those states that supposedly do not allow doubles. Federal law - states cannot impose stricter regulations on the federal interstate highway system than the federal laws. If they do they lose their federal funding. Or don't call if you're scared. Do you know what an interstate highway is? It has the sign that looks like a blue badge with some red across the top. You just go ahead and be right in your own mind. Go away loser. Or respond whatever you want. I'm done here.
LOL. Whatever you say sport. Thanks for verifying my previous post. ;) I'll be sure to look you up for any questions about towing laws, since you are the only one with the correct answers. LOL And no, I don't think I will "go away". Pretty sure this was my thread, and you chose to impose your great wisdom upon us, uninvited. :ROFLMAO: :D :ROFLMAO: You are a special one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the 09 have the door stickers that have the truck's rating? My measurements are unloaded and with those Duratracs so your reading could be different on street tires. Once the leafs flex, you may have a nice balanced stance under load. I do remember it being a part of the discussion with the L5P, similar to the new positioning of the 5th wheel OEM hookup on the 2020s
I will have to look into all of that. If that 1-1/2" difference holds true when I find a truck I like, I can tweak my hitch height a touch and likely get everything where it needs to be. If I stuck to highways and paved roads, it wouldn't be as much of a concern to me. However, that's not how I do it. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a truck driver who was driving before there was the CDL and when commercial doubles were not allowed in all states, you are wrong about private not for hire RV vehicles being able to pull doubles in all states.
Most of my previous response to your post did not sink in. There is no "Federal law" that regulates RV combinations. The "law" you cite applies only to commercial interstate activity. In my first response, I stated the only way that your statement would work----becoming CDL holder with a tandem trailer endorsement, DOT number on the door, DOT medical card etc. etc., in other words a commercial operator and not a typical RVer.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
. I also like the thought of the exhaust break. I pull a pretty good load up in the high country of Colorado so all of those improvements seem like the way to go.
Im not going to join the children arguing about triple towing (you know who you are) You are not solving anything and contributing NOTHING by your juvenile antics. Some people disagree with you............SO WHAT!!

What I did think Id do is help you save a boatload of money if you would be happy to have a Turbo Brake on that LMM of yours.............Because you can..............For around $50.

Here is a thread I wrote when I did mine. I did not come up with the idea, I shamelessly copied another's method and gave them credit.

Read the entire thread as well as all the links. It is about a 30-40 minute job,,,,,,,,,OK, maybe an hour tops.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts