Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im not going to join the children arguing about triple towing (you know who you are) You are not solving anything and contributing NOTHING by your juvenile antics. Some people disagree with you............SO WHAT!!

What I did think Id do is help you save a boatload of money if you would be happy to have a Turbo Brake on that LMM of yours.............Because you can..............For around $50.

Here is a thread I wrote when I did mine. I did not come up with the idea, I shamelessly copied another's method and gave them credit.

Read the entire thread as well as all the links. It is about a 30-40 minute job,,,,,,,,,OK, maybe an hour tops.

Interesting. Thanks. Wish I had known about that several years ago. However, I think I have about convinced myself that the L5P is the route for me. I'm at the upper limits of my tow rating with no more wiggle room. Got my eye on a possible option. 2017 3500 with 29k miles. It would be a perfect fit.
One other ongoing complaint I've had with my '09, particularly when towing, is the 26 gallon fuel tank. Having to find fuel every 200 miles is bad enough, but when I have the train behind me, I must find fuel where there is also plenty of room to pull straight through. Backing isn't easy... :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im not going to join the children arguing about triple towing (you know who you are) You are not solving anything and contributing NOTHING by your juvenile antics. Some people disagree with you............SO WHAT!!

What I did think Id do is help you save a boatload of money if you would be happy to have a Turbo Brake on that LMM of yours.............Because you can..............For around $50.

Here is a thread I wrote when I did mine. I did not come up with the idea, I shamelessly copied another's method and gave them credit.

Read the entire thread as well as all the links. It is about a 30-40 minute job,,,,,,,,,OK, maybe an hour tops.

You start to disrespect people by calling them "children" and "juvenile" then you are not solving anything or contributing "NOTHING". Ok, someone encourages people to do an illegal act and a few people correct him, "SO WHAT"!!
Well, here is the "SO WHAT!!" that pertains to the thread starter-----Putting 500-600 lbs. on the rear of the 5th wheel trailer will reduce the pin weight thus reducing the load on the rear axle, thus raising the height of the top of the pickup's box while hooked to the 5 th wheel. Think about it. With no tail (2nd) trailer, there will be more clerance between the pick box and 5th wheel's underside. Get out your tape measure and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You start to disrespect people by calling them "children" and "juvenile" then you are not solving anything or contributing "NOTHING". Ok, someone encourages people to do an illegal act and a few people correct him, "SO WHAT"!!
Well, here is the "SO WHAT!!" that pertains to the thread starter-----Putting 500-600 lbs. on the rear of the 5th wheel trailer will reduce the pin weight thus reducing the load on the rear axle, thus raising the height of the top of the pickup's box while hooked to the 5 th wheel. Think about it. With no tail (2nd) trailer, there will be more clerance between the pick box and 5th wheel's underside. Get out your tape measure and prove me wrong.
I have thought about that as well. The hitch weight on my loaded atv trailer is about 350 lbs. Fortunately, the rear overhang on my 5th wheel is pretty short, so not a lot of leverage and it won't affect the pin weight a whole lot. I'm sure it makes a little difference, but not sure it would be measurable. Shoot, all of this would be a non-issue if manufacturers would just quit raising the height of the trucks. Really no good reason to do that other than looks and bragging rights. Hell, the 2020 models are another 2-3 inch's higher yet. That's just stupid.
Anyhow, thanks for the help from those who offered it. This thread was pretty telling about a couple of the members here, one in particular... Never expected such a basic question would lead to all of this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bob are you on the Polaris General forum and got rid of that and bought a Kawasaki?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting. Thanks. Wish I had known about that several years ago. However, I think I have about convinced myself that the L5P is the route for me. I'm at the upper limits of my tow rating with no more wiggle room. Got my eye on a possible option. 2017 3500 with 29k miles. It would be a perfect fit.
One other ongoing complaint I've had with my '09, particularly when towing, is the 26 gallon fuel tank. Having to find fuel every 200 miles is bad enough, but when I have the train behind me, I must find fuel where there is also plenty of room to pull straight through. Backing isn't easy... :)
Depending on your pin weight, how many people and much gear you carry in the truck going to a 3500 HD is a good idea. It is good to have some cushion. The GCWR (combined) is probaly higher with a 1 ton.
With the L5P you will have a great turbo brake, no Bosch CP4 and a 10 gallon larger motion lotion tank. The only downside to the '17 is that it is the first year of the L5P
I back up a 28' pup with a single axle dolly which turns quicker than your set up every day to hook up my tail trailer, with practice you will get better backing that rig up. But why try and back up @ a busy fuel stop, you are doing the right thing by being picky where you fuel, avoid any backing up that you do not need to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have thought about that as well. The hitch weight on my loaded atv trailer is about 350 lbs. Fortunately, the rear overhang on my 5th wheel is pretty short, so not a lot of leverage and it won't affect the pin weight a whole lot. I'm sure it makes a little difference, but not sure it would be measurable. Shoot, all of this would be a non-issue if manufacturers would just quit raising the height of the trucks. Really no good reason to do that other than looks and bragging rights. Hell, the 2020 models are another 2-3 inch's higher yet. That's just stupid.
Anyhow, thanks for the help from those who offered it. This thread was pretty telling about a couple of the members here, one in particular... Never expected such a basic question would lead to all of this.
Yeah, I hear you about over thinking every thing from every angle. But as long as the OEMs are engaged in the present towing/HP/ torque wars the closer they are getting to class 8 semi-tractors in height.
Pickups with snowplows mounted are sometimes required to load ballast between the rear drive axle and the tailgate to keep the truck under it's FAWR even if equipped with the plow prep option. Going by your pictures, my guess is that your hitch ball is about 8' behind your 5th wheel's rear axle, which is quite a lever on the fulcrum of that rear axle. If you have never weighted your rig you might be in for a surprise. I would run your rig up on a truck scale both ways, single, double and truck only (to get payload and GVWR numbers on the truck only) that way you are not guessing with a sales flyer as your guide. Even raising the front (or height) of the 5th wheel will cause a change in how much weight the front and rear axles of the trailer will be carrying. Of course, the more lighter the 5th wheel is in the nose and heavier on the tail pulling doubles, you will understand why they are called wiggle wagons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is my 2020 Chevy 3500hd srw just under 5 feet and my brothers rig he has had no problems pulling around wyo and Nebraska hope this helps. His rig is just shy of 78 feet long
Holy hell what a setup. I just got anxiety picturing trying to drive that through Jersey with all the asshats around here. Stay safe !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is my tailgate height just under 5 foot on my 2020 chevy 3500hd srw and here is my brothers rig he pulls around Wyoming and Nebraska with no problems from the fuzz lol hope this helps and everyone needs to calm down lol nobody knows everything except our wife's so just ask them

Attachments

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,060 Posts
Another option is to raise the suspension on the 5thwheel. Any qualified trailer repair place can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've tried to post 2 times but have failed apparently the internet in my house is worse than in the truck lol never thought I would say that. Sorry if this shows up 3 times lol. The top of my tailgate on my 2020 chevy 3500hd srw is just under 5 feet. And here is a pic of my brothers rig he pulls all over Wyoming and Nebraska with no hassle from the fuzz and he doesn't have a cdl by any means lol it measured in at just under 78 feet long. Not me I said as I like to change lanes confidently but to each their own

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Guess I will know soon enough how this is all going to work out. Found a 2018 SLT 3500 long box with the 5th wheel prep. Saturday. 38k miles, which is slightly more than I was wanting, but it is a GM certified used vehicle, so that adds 12 months/12,000 miles of bumper to bumper warranty, and extends the drive train warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles. Ordered the 5th wheel adapter plate yesterday, so soon I can hook up and see what I've got.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts