Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with the plastic bed rail covers. I tow a 5th wheel and the back part by the tailgate has come loose on both sides and flaps in the wind above 45 mph or so. Dealer says they use 3M double sidded tape to fix and it can be purchased at any local parts store. When I pulled off the covers the tape that was on there was thicker than can be purchased at any of my local parts stores. IMHO the covers don't fit or look great anyway and putting thinner sticky tape will only make the problems worse if it actually works like it should. I did my truck bed with a DYI bedliner and have some left to use on the bed rails if I decided to go that route but the covers have scratched the paint under the covers and they extend futher down from the top than I would like to paint with the bedliner.

I assume others have had this same problem. What did you do and what do you think is best in my situation?

Steve
 

·
Im Superrrrr!
Joined
·
14,517 Posts
My OE ones were somewhat loose and were starting to eat through the paint, so i just removed em and had it rhino lined to match the rest of the bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
You can use the thinner stuff and do a double run instead of running just one piece. Is it the bed caps and the tailgate? Also 3m makes adhesion promoter wipes that you wipe on before you put the tape on, you won't be able to pull the tape off. Its good stuff. Not sure what kind of diy bedliner your using, but alot of them will turn chalky and look like hell after a few months. Raptor, gator guard are good ones. Or if your looking to replace the bed caps, BAK are the best ones, they come with a crap load of 2 sided taped on them and stick very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
That was one of the first things i did to my truck...i ripped those stupid things off and used the DIY Dupli-color bedliner kit on it...looks awesome...I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow for ya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was one of the first things i did to my truck...i ripped those stupid things off and used the DIY Dupli-color bedliner kit on it...looks awesome...I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow for ya!
I used the DIY stuff from Lowes called Plastikote and it still looks good. Been on there for several months now but Don't remember when I did it exactly. Pic's would be cool.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Agree w/ John. Bedlined will be your best bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Love all the fire watch ribbons in this post by the way!!! :drink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
My rail covers were doing the same thing. I just used some thick double sided tape for the time being until I score a set of black diamond plate rails. I've always had a soft spot for them. Just make sure you tape off your bed real well before laying it, i've seen some awesomely cool bedliner runs down the sides of beds before lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Alright...it took a few days, but here are the pictures of my bedliner:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
The Low down...

Ya know...I like it a lot better than the stock plastic bathtub that my truck had. To me the plastic looks cheap, stuff slid around all over the place in the bed, plus it blocked off the tiedown points in the bed, so unless I cut holes in it it was pretty useless to me.

Prep time took me almost a full day. It took me forever to get that adhesive tape off the rails and clean...nothing I tried (Acetone, Goof Off, alcohol...both for me and the tape...) took it off, so I had to use the abrasive ball to get it to come loose...what a mess. I went to Harbor Freight (my favorite toy store:rof) and got the abrasive ball for prepping the bed...well worth it to save the time. I didn't want the bedline peeling up on me later! (4" 80 Grit Coarse Grade Abrasive Ball)

That being said, it didnt lay down QUITE as smooth as I wanted, I can still see brush strokes especially on the rails, but that was because I brushed the whole thing on instead of rolling. The other thing that is bugging me is I pulled off the tailgate cap without fully investigating what was underneath, so I have those 5 holes from where the cap pushed in that I am still trying to figure out how to fill smoothly now that the liner is on. Some pieces of the Kevlar laid down a little clumpy, but overall I'm really happy with it. The Texas desert keeps blowing sand on it, so it never really looks super black, but it cuts down on stuff skidding around in the bed.

All in all, well worth the $150 and 2 days I spent doing it. Great product...now just looking to figure out what I can use the rest of the can for!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top