Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic. A driver ran through a red light and hit basically the whole front right section of the truck. It wasn't totaled but the shop I have working on it (who is a family friend) told me the frame was slightly bent (a couple of inches) but it was nothing that couldn't be fixed. Is this something i should be worried about? I know it will take down the value of my truck but if it can get back to normal I would rather have my truck back, that's already paid off and have never had a problem with then spend money to get a new one.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
If your frame is bent, your insurance company should technically total the truck.....then in turn you should have the option to buy it back. I would go that route and pocket some flo'

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Frame bent a couple inches is not "Slight"--- IMO . If the insurance is paying for this, I suggest you talk to an agent.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had my old truck and ran though a deep ditch !! Bent the frame pretty bad !! Insurance covered it, fixed it. Drove it for many years with no problems !! Manly just depends on where and in what direction the frame is bent !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the Help. So far I like the last answer the best and just hope that it works out. I just called to make sure i understood the measurement correctly but hopefully I didn't. I will keep you posted on the response when he calls back. Once again thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good News!! the guy at the Shop said it was only 5mm pushed over!! it still isn't good it was moved but it's better then what I thought. He had said if it was a couple of inches then he wouldn't have done anything and suggested to total it. So for once I'm glad I wasn't paying full attention. Hopefully it will be back to normal. Thank You

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Heck !! Thats less than a 1/4 of an inch !!

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
The don't measure frame bends in Inches. It's all MM's

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I converted it to Standard measurement. I hate metric !!

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
I know a few people that have had bent frames, as long as they're straightened correctly it's not that big of a deal. If the accident wasn't your fault, you may be able to recover money for "reduced value of vehicle". When you go to trade in the vehicle or sell it, legally you are required to tell them about the damage. In some states the insurance company will have to pay you a certain percentage of the value due to "reduced value". I would check into it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
When I worked at a body shop, they totaled anything that had a bent frame. The only reason why they did not total is when the customer asked not to do so. I would total and buy back.

·
born country
2,427 Posts
if it's 5mm, i would think you would be fine to straighten it up, hit and miss i guess. good luck!!!!!!!!

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,192 Posts
I have to wonder... was the frame actually bent, or was it the frame horn? Big difference there. The frame horns are in front of all the suspension components and such, and are fairly common to bend with a frontal collision. If the frame was bent, I would say total it and buy it back. If it was the frame horn, get it repaired by a reputable shop. Body shops do frame work all the time, its part of the business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts