Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for tires for a 2011 lml and was settled on the Falkon Wildpeak AT3W's.vThe snow and ice reviews are great but I found they use a different compound on the LT tires. I am now worried that will affect the winter performance. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm also interested in the Discount tire exclusive Wrangler Ultra Terrains but I cant find much in the way of independent reviews for these.

As I indicated I am looking for winter tires, lot of packed snow and ice with some deeper snow from time to time.

Thanks for any input!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I ran BFG A/T KOs when I was in Alaska for 7 years and loved them. Not sure if the newer version is as good though. I haven't heard or read anything about the other 2 you have there. Hopefully others have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used the Cooper A/TW on my last truck and currently using Duratracs on this one. Both winter rated and good in the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Goodyear Duratracs hands down

Reactions: Big ~O~

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!! The original Duramax forum I joined wouldn’t get this many replies in a day, thanks!!

I have read mixed reviews on the duratracs. Most agree that they offer good traction but that they are noisy and have weak side walls. Their positive reviews are the reason I am interested in the ultra terrains. I might have to be the test dummy on a set of those.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Toyo AT2. One of the best tires my friends and I have used.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just a note on the Falkon Wildpeak AT3W's if getting large 35 inch size had huge problem getting them balanced where they did not hop at high speeds. ended up with BFG AT KO2 which first set balanced no issues.

Just wanted to throw that out there for ya. Might have been my bad luck with tires.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I run the Falken Wildpeak in the winter, they work great
285/70-17

·
Registered
85 Posts
WOW!! The original Duramax forum I joined wouldn’t get this many replies in a day, thanks!!

I have read mixed reviews on the duratracs. Most agree that they offer good traction but that they are noisy and have weak side walls. Their positive reviews are the reason I am interested in the ultra terrains. I might have to be the test dummy on a set of those.

I am interested in the UltraTerrains as well so please be the test dummy! They seem like a good alternative to the noisy Duratracs if they live up to the promises of the initial write ups. Looks like a great winter tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
525 Posts
Are you running the LT/10 ply tires?
Yes, 10ply E rated
great snow performance and very quiet for how aggressive they are. Also wearing much better than my friends DuraTrac's

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, 10ply E rated
great snow performance and very quiet for how aggressive they are. Also wearing much better than my friends DuraTrac's
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks! Unless I hear something different I will probably stick with these. Wait for someone else to try the Ultra Terrains. :wink2:

·
Supporting Vendor
1,291 Posts
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks! Unless I hear something different I will probably stick with these. Wait for someone else to try the Ultra Terrains. :wink2:
We've had good feedback about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in winter condition and the Goodyear Ultraterrain AT scores very well in our test data for winter traction.

Please let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We've had good feedback about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in winter condition and the Goodyear Ultraterrain AT scores very well in our test data for winter traction.

Please let us know if we can help.

Do you have a list of all available sizes for the UltraTerrain that you can post?
Maybe it is on your site but I did not see it when I took a quick look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
685 Posts
Those Ultra Terrains look promising. I might have to try a set this winter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had the Nitto terra grapplers last I like them a lot, lasted about 50k and looked good too. I have the toyo at2s now and they are a lot tougher ride than the nittos.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Highway 235s and lots of bed weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our local Discount Tire is installing a set of 275/70R18 Falkens on Saturday. I'll be headed into the mountains on an elk hunt next week and will post a review when I get back.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Falkens installed on the old 18” wheels today. I’m gonna run these all winter and put the stock 20’s with hwy tires back on for summer trailering. So far all I can say is that they balanced well, they’re quiet on the hwy, and they look great. This probably isn’t the best pic to show them but it’s the best I have right now.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts