Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
275/6520 Goodyear UltraTerrains went on my stock 2019 Denali 2500HD today. Heading to the high country to ski tomorrow so hoping to test them in a bit of snow. Loved my Duratracs that I had on my LML, but way loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 275/65/20 size seems just right for winter. Not too wide and should cut through the slush well. I was going to run the SR-A through this first winter but chickened out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Let me know how they do in the snow. My truck will need a new pair of shoes this winter too

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Over the years I have found the optimal solution is a different set of rims and tires for the two different seasons ... summer vs winter. I currently change them out middle of November and middle of March which is based on the Utah seasonal changeover.

Not too long ago I ran BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A’s in Montana year round because in my opinion they provided the best snow and ice traction. Downside is they have a softer rubber compound and I only got 35k to 40k max wear life out of these tires. They were also not as good as actual winter tires ... missing the additional siping in winter tires for added traction ... and also no having the more open block-style treads to release packed-in snow.

I now run Firestone Transforce AT2 in the summer and Firestone Winterforce LT in the winter on my work truck. Many will laugh at the Firestone selection, but I have been getting 75k to 80k miles out of the last two sets of Firestone Transforce AT2’s, get no flats, and are very quiet on the highway. All winter tires wear out quickly because they are a soft rubber compound with lots of siping for winter traction ... have only got ~25k wear life ... but they are also much cheaper compared to all-season / all-terrain tires. Also, this is a work truck managed by a fleet company that will not authorize excessive expenditures for certain tires.

As for my personal truck, 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4 SB Duramax, I chose to try the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires because of their impressive winter performance and longer wear life on heavy diesel trucks. To be honest, the road noise is excessive, but so is the excessive siping in the tread blocks for winter traction, which is a trade-off, better winter traction but with more road noise. Only have 3,000 miles on them so far ... therefore I cannot comment on the increased wear life yet. Also, these tires are not “diggers” off-road due to their non-aggressive tread design ... but I do not off-road much with my personal truck ... have a UTV for off-roading.

Summary ... IMO ... having two sets of tires and rims is the best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 275/65/20 size seems just right for winter. Not too wide and should cut through the slush well. I was going to run the SR-A through this first winter but chickened out.

Is your truck completely stock? I have been looking at those exact tires and was thinking I need a level kit for those to work.

Do you have anymore pictures? Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is your truck completely stock? I have been looking at those exact tires and was thinking I need a level kit for those to work.

Do you have anymore pictures? Thanks.

Yes, 100% stock as delivered. Keys have not been cranked. Leaned my lesson when I leveled my 2016. Less compliant front end and less than ideal for towing. 275/65/20 clears easy. The UltraTerrains balanced nicely on the first try. I can tell I’ve got a taller tire on there but acceleration and handling doesn’t suffer all that much from the stock size. L5P has more than enough to deal with these!

·
Registered
2021 Denali Black Diamond
30 Posts
Anyone run exo grapplers? Snow and ice performance feedback?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks good ColoradoOutdoors! Can't wait to hear how they perform!

I just got back from my trip and am sad to report there was no snow. Guess I'll have to wait until ski season on to test the Wildpeaks winter performance. What I did encounter to some extent was mud and ground that would freeze at night and thaw during the day. The tires cleaned out better than my old BFG KO2s. They aren't mud tires but performed respectably in the conditions I encountered on this trip. Looking forward to the snow!

·
Supporting Vendor
1,291 Posts
I just got back from my trip and am sad to report there was no snow. Guess I'll have to wait until ski season on to test the Wildpeaks winter performance. What I did encounter to some extent was mud and ground that would freeze at night and thaw during the day. The tires cleaned out better than my old BFG KO2s. They aren't mud tires but performed respectably in the conditions I encountered on this trip. Looking forward to the snow!
Sorry, you missed the snow but thank you for relaying how your tires did in muddy/ice conditions.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Anyone ever try the Nitto Terra Grapplers?
I have the Terra Grappler G2 on the truck now, also had the KO2's before that.

My take on the Terra, decent tire, does surprisingly well in the mud for an AT, ok in the rain, but not very good in standing water, was not impressed in the snow, not horrible but not great either.

KO2, great snow tire, loaded up horrible in the mud (my mud has clay in it). Fairly quiet tire, did not last on my truck (about 20k).

Buddy has the Duratracs and loves them in the snow, but little noisy and dont last that long if you haul a fair amount or are in warmer climates.

Ordered a set of Nitto Exo Grappler's, they have the 3 peak snow flake rating (as does the Duratrac and the Wilkdpeak AT3w), was netween those and the Wildpeak, but the Nitto looked a bit beefier... Hopefully they will be in this week so I can get them thrown on the truck....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the Info Jimmy. Im going try the G2's as they were $300 less than the Duratrax and $500 less than the Open Country's. Let us know what you think of the Exo's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m not a Duratrax fan, they wear horribly and aren’t really great at anything. I run dedicated winter tires, is that an option for you?

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
I would advise running actual winters, but if you're stuck on a year round tire, Goodyear Duratrac. Ultimate jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none tire. Stud 'em for maximum ice performance. Mine wore fine.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I ran BFG A/T KOs when I was in Alaska for 7 years and loved them. Not sure if the newer version is as good though. I haven't heard or read anything about the other 2 you have there. Hopefully others have.
I just replaced a set of those, the BFG A/T KO AT2's. They don't last for anything, 14,000 miles and they were nearly slick. No mileage warranty either, so that really sucked. Discount Tires still pushes those pretty heavily, so they must be a good profit leader for them.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I get around 35-40k miles on KO2s. On my 3rd set. Currently have about 25k miles and I expect to get another 10k out of them.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts