Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I get around 35-40k miles on KO2s. On my 3rd set. Currently have about 25k miles and I expect to get another 10k out of them.

I am extremely conscientious about watching the air pressure and rotating every 5,000 miles, alignment, etc. So I am at a loss to explain the very short service life. And obviously not to happy with that result either.

Am trying a set of Kumho Road Ventures A/T 51’s I think? Have only had them for a few weeks so still learning about them. They are quiet and seem to handle well; but am waiting to see how they do in a realistic amount of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I just replaced a set of those, the BFG A/T KO AT2's. They don't last for anything, 14,000 miles and they were nearly slick. No mileage warranty either, so that really sucked. Discount Tires still pushes those pretty heavily, so they must be a good profit leader for them.
That sucks to hear. I was hoping to hear they had better tread life. I got around 50K miles out of my KOs, but about 7 months out of the year was on snow and ice (sept-march). I put them on in late 04 and ran the same set until fall 2010. (I went to korea 07-08, so my truck didn't get driven for almost a year) They still had plenty of tread left for another winter, but I didn't want to chance another winter on them. I bought another set of KO's at the time and they did great up there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I need to put more winter hours on the Goodyear UltraTerrains, but I am convinced they are going to prove to be better than the Duratracs for winter.

The tire casing feels more compliant and the tread blocks are softer. The tread blocks are also tighter, which I think makes a better winter tire, at least on snow packed roads.

I went tall and narrow, 275/65/20, and I swear I feel some sway depending on road surface. I don’t think I will tow with these tires and will go back to the SR-A for camping season.

So far happy with my choice. Great price point at $267 helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
That sucks to hear. I was hoping to hear they had better tread life. I got around 50K miles out of my KOs, but about 7 months out of the year was on snow and ice (sept-march). I put them on in late 04 and ran the same set until fall 2010. (I went to korea 07-08, so my truck didn't get driven for almost a year) They still had plenty of tread left for another winter, but I didn't want to chance another winter on them. I bought another set of KO's at the time and they did great up there.

The earlier version of the KO’s did last longer, around 24-26,000 miles for me. My understanding is that 1 ton suspensions tend to eat tires pretty hard. Previous mechanic told me that getting that kind of tire life was pretty good, that I should keep doing all that I was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
Anyone have any specs on the Ultra Terrains? I can’t find much info online. Like what is the towing weight capacity and I assume there is no mileage warranty for E rated tires but...???

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I only had about 24,000 on KO2’s when I took them off, I could have gotten a few more miles out of them but didn’t want to mess with it going into winter. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I only have about 1,000 miles on them but I am happy so far. They balanced well, ride nice and are quiet for a bigger more aggressive tire. I am going to play in the snow next weekend and cut a Christmas tree so I will let you guys know how they do.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
A good buddy of mine tried Ridge Grapplers on his 1 ton Dodge for a winter. Changed them out before long, said they were like hockey pucks on the slightest slick winter surface. Zero traction.

·
Registered
2021 Denali Black Diamond
30 Posts
I also had them on a 3/4 ton Dodge. I wouldn't say they were THAT bad in the snow....I plowed with them for a winter and got by.....but I wouldn't by them with high winter expectations. Did fine on road and seemed to hook up in the dirt pretty well but I never really did too much off-roading.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was very pleasantly surprised by how well my Toyo AT2's did in the snow. Love the look and performance of them overall, and they have worn very well this past year and half, worked well towing my 5th wheel, and are pretty quiet on the road. I plan to buy another set when these wear out. They don't do well in mud though...get packed full quickly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Studded snow tires,

Just got a set of goodyear ultra grip ice 275 70 18 ( increase size to carry weight) with studs installed, the depth of the
studs was very inconsistent so they are going back to tire rack. How do I know if the correct stud type are being installed when i get the replacement pair? If you read this article you learn that there are different types of studds and that each manufacturer has a different type but do not install them. This is done at the dealer. Quality Control: Don?t Accept Inferior Stud Installation | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club The exception to this is nokian but can't seem to find them. This is the second set of studded tire I have put on my 2011 chevy 3500 with an arctic fox 990 truck camper. They first where firestone winter force lt, same size. I did not inspect those before they where installed and many studs where gone after the first season and I am wondering if that was due to improper installation, incorrect stud type, poor tire selection or just a lot of weight. They worked well in snow and ice. I have tried to contact both goodyear and tire rack but both are clueless about studs to my horror. I choose the goodyears this time because of a tire test, they did best with the exception of the blizzacks but my size is on back order and it is unknown when they will be produced

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've been running my studded Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice (275/70/18) tires since the winter of 2012/13. The studs and tread both look good still. They are a great winter tire, but through the years the sizes they made varied so much it was hard to find them in a size similar to factory tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have never seen a tire come pre-studded up here in Alaska. Local shops and dealers have to install the studs and they are all simple pins. Those fancy pins in that link are factory European tires and studs, I have never seen anything like that in use. My tires were studded at a Wingfoot shop (Good Year commercial big truck tire shop), then mounted and road force balanced at my local GM dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got off the phone with goodyear corporate and they said that we, as in the U.S. market only get a simple pin and the company Brunowessel.com is the manufacturer. The stud that fits 275/70 18 is a number 15 and brunowessel has a video on there site about proper stud installation. The tires that I got from tire rack where installed incorrectly and it is the installer that did a poor job. Tire rack is sending me a out a new set. That hopefully will be correct.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Guys ; I haven't heard alot about the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W in the LT275/70r18/10 which have seen some reviews on them which sounded good . I have a 2015 Chev Silverado 3500 Duramax I pull a 35ft 5th wheel toyhauler loaded down good most of the time on gravel roads and pavement ,but in snow once in awhile . I want to get some mileage out of them , my last set of tires were Yoko Geolander AT Go15 which had an 80 thousand ks warranty got 40,so not happy ,what are your thoughts. Take Care

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a set of 285/70-17 Falken Wildpeak that I run in the winter. So far (second season) i am happy with them.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX M/S ... hands down for ice and snow ... excessive amount of siping for constant traction. Have the on my 3500HD and run thousands of miles in Wyoming on ice and snow packed highways (just last week. Beware they are extremely noise on dry roads ... the price you pay for all of that siping.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX M/S ... hands down for ice and snow ... excessive amount of siping for constant traction. Have the on my 3500HD and run thousands of miles in Wyoming on ice and snow packed highways (just last week. Beware they are extremely noise on dry roads ... the price you pay for all of that siping.
That is my summer tire, don't find them loud at all.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts