Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
My last two tanks have been Kwik Trip, I like the clean big lit station, but the mpg's dropped a bit not sure how much as I did not hand calc them just the DIC. Also the dyno but says the truck is a little sluggish on the tanks, but that could have been the extra bag of gummy bears dancing in my head too. I wish I had more BP near me they always seem to be spunkier and better mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer Costco diesel, best price and they carry only Top Tier diesel, but I am lucky having a rare Costco with diesel fuel location only a mile from my house.

Below is a cetane rating for branded diesel fuels that I found on the internet last year ... can’t vouch for its accuracy or how old it is ... may not even be relevant anymore.

I do however try to use Chevron or Conoco when out of town just in case this comparison is accurate.

BP (Amoco branded), 51
Chevron, 49 (51 with Techron D)
ConocoPhillips, 48 (California 48-53)
PetroCanada, 47-51
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46
Marathon 45
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
BP, 40-42 (Powerblend 47)
HESS, 40-45
Husky, 40 (Max 41-45)
Sunoco, 40 (Sunoco Gold 45)
Holiday Stations, 40-43
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40

What do these number ratings mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Do any of you guys favor one brand of diesel over other brands ?
And if you do, why?
i like the taste of chevron flavored diesel, but as others have stated its more important to buy from a busy station that moves a lot of fuel. Another thing to consider, if the fuel flows REALLY slowly from the pump they probably dont change the filters in the pump too often, might be best to go elsewhere. I only favor chevron because up here, the stations are reasonably clean and well maintained by comparison to others. Also, im not sure if this is the same everywhere, but our Chevron pumps list the diesel as not being a Chevron product. I just go there because the stations are nicer and they are high traffic. I also use the high flow pumps when available, i figure they are more likely to be maintained better to keep the high flow rate up. if you dont have an LML though, i dont think you can fit a highflow tip.

I like any straight diesel no bio junk. I get better mileage with straight diesel. any station with quick turnover is usually good.
really? ive been using B5 (highest you can get here) for years and it seems to run great for me. Even unhung an injector on the old LB7

Doesn't a cash receipt do the same thing?
I dont know about you, but im not great about keeping receipts. With the credit card theres a record on my bank statement that i can use to recover the missing receipt if it came down to it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Im in Wisconsin and I was wondering if anyone had a negative experience with Kwik Trip Diesel. I used it all last winter with no issues, so I have kept using it. Thanks
I use Kwik trip in Kenosha, Miejer in Kenosha and a shell station in zion.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
What do these number ratings mean?

Numbers are Cetane.

Cetane number (cetane rating) is an indicator of the combustion speed of diesel fuel and compression needed for ignition. It is an inverse of the similar octane rating for gasoline.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
When I was in the car hauling business and ran frequently up and down the east coast, I found Hess (now Speedway) to provide the best MPG while towing or not towing.

Additionally, I found that all of the major truck stops had the worst MPG fuel which I never understood.

I hand calculated each tank of fuel so I knew what each brand gave me. As a result of this experience, I never fuel up at a major truck stop anymore unless I have to. And, it appears that the Speedways stations are slowly disappearing in the SE US.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I agree with filling at high traffic stations and being mindful of cetane values on diesel, however; what about the owners manual (2019 Diesel Supplemet -page 45- <I don't have a digital copy of the manual>) calling out to use ONLY "top tier diesel"? And if not filling with top tier- then to add AC Delco Diesel Fuel Conditioner...? And it goes on to state that if you have used non-top tier diesel; then to add AC Delco Fuel Treatment plus Diesel.

I have no "top tier diesel" near me and don't really care to go buy a lot of fuel Conditioner from the darn dealership, but I will if I need to. Any thoughts on the necessity of these "ac delco" additives?

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Just curious. What is the definition of "top tier diesel"?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
A "standard" of diesel that GM seems to advise running now.....
From the website:
Must meet the stringent standards of the TOP TIER™Diesel Fuel Performance Standard, including best practice housekeeping to minimize particulate and water contamination.Stations must prominently display the TOP TIER™ logo at the fuel dispenser. NOTE: Not all stations of a licensed brand may be selling TOP TIER™Diesel Fuel. Find more informationhere.Reduces Deposits, Increases Lubricity, and Improves Fuel Stability for a Cleaner Diesel Fuel. See below for more information on how TOP TIER™Diesel Fuel achieves these important attributes.Download the AAA Station Locator to find a station near you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Could someone explain to me when I use fuel stations that push quite a bit of diesel fuel at some stations the fuel has a definite green tint to it and other stations the fuel is clear with no tint what so ever. This does not seem to be related to bio diesel stuff either. Either fuel seems to work fine (it has not caused me any issues) but never got an explanation on why diesel can look different like that. Dean

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are only several Costco stations and several Fast Stop stations that retail Top Tier Diesel and none of them are within 1500 miles of me. This is the standards to receive Top Tier status

https://www.toptiergas.com/documents/16/TOP_TIER_Diesel_Fuel_Performance_Standard_Rev_A_-_Feb2017.pdf

Lubrizol has received Top Tier approval for one of its additive packages.

Lubrizol Earns TOP TIER(?) Diesel Program Approval for Performance Diesel Additives - News Center - The Lubrizol Corporation

You can google cross reference the DW10B and DW10C tests to see if the additive you use touts they pass these tests. Many do as internal injector deposits (IDID) have been the buzzword for several years. The DW8 and DW10 refer to the Peugeot engine used for the testing. For example Schaeffer's Diesel Treat passes DW10C. I'm sure there are many more. More info here

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Fuel-Additives/Products/Lubrizol-9040-Zer0-Series/Performance/Diesel-Injector-Deposits

Edited to add Stanadyne passes DW10, Amalgamated passes DW10. PowerService passes. Optilube does not. No mention of detergency, just pushing the old dieselplace lubricity test of 9 years ago or so. (I fully admit to never being a fan)

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was in the car hauling business and ran frequently up and down the east coast, I found Hess (now Speedway) to provide the best MPG while towing or not towing.

Additionally, I found that all of the major truck stops had the worst MPG fuel which I never understood.

I hand calculated each tank of fuel so I knew what each brand gave me. As a result of this experience, I never fuel up at a major truck stop anymore unless I have to. And, it appears that the Speedways stations are slowly disappearing in the SE US.

Heh. I used to be in the car/motorcycle brokering/hauling business as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if we brokered to you at some point on Central.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts